Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2023 CX-5, disable seat belt chime

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 10:23 AM
Default 2023 CX-5, disable seat belt chime

Will the dealer disable my seat belt chime or is there a way to disable it myself?

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-04-2023, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by 23cx5sig
Will the dealer disable my seat belt chime or is there a way to disable it myself?

Thanks for your help.
With the rate of speed at which vehicles travel today, that is very unsafe things you can do as it's there to be annoying and make sure drivers and passengers are buckled up.

No dealer or mechanic will disable it.

If you think outside the box, there is a DIY to stop the chime, but why disable? Just buckle up and be safe.

Last edited by kilroy22; 07-04-2023 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-04-2023, 11:02 AM

If there is a way to disable it thru MDARS (Mazda Diagnostic and Repair Software) I doubt that you will find anybody willing to do it for liability purposes.
However, the switch in the in the buckle is a simple SPST arrangement, and the annoying chime can be permanently disabled by disconnecting either one of the two leads from the connector beneath the seat using a pin extraction tool. I did this within a few days of getting my 2021 CX-5 when new. I do wear my seat belt, but not to move my car out of my garage to wash it or whatever.
I disconnected the battery first, as the airbag wiring is in same connector housing.

Old 07-04-2023, 11:30 AM

Thanks for your help.
The basic answer is you live in Texas so NO. Also if anyone does this and you do get into an accident and the insurance company learns that the seat belt was deliberately disconnected it may not go in your best interest.

As for members irresponsibly suggesting how to turn it off is just that irresponsible. But you can do whatever you want with the information and any information on a forum.
There is a reason why it chimes and that is to WARN you that your SAFETY BELT is not connected. Even to just move the vehicle on your own property!!

If it were only the passenger side and you often travel with no one seated their and place items that could trigger the seat belt warning, there are things you can do. The first and best solution is to connect the belt.

Tampering with the SAFTY devices on your MAZDA will void the WARRTY with your SRS. (Supplemental Restraint System)

Old 07-04-2023, 01:59 PM

will the dealer disable my seat belt chime or is there a way to disable it myself?

Thanks for your help.
for those of you that think i dont use my seat belt, this is for when i back out of my garage or stop and get my mail and dont want to buckle up to drive another 100 feet at 10 mph. I drive with my seatbelt on so dont make assumptions and dont tell me about staying safe. Ive been driving longer than most of you have been alive.

Old 07-04-2023, 02:57 PM

While its still a free country to some degree ,its illegal ,but if your willing to take the chance of the ticket go to a wrecking yard and cut the end of a seat belt of a like type and insert it in your seat bent receiver.

Old 07-04-2023, 05:42 PM

If you disable your seat belt chime your insurance will likely not pay full amount in case of an accident.
And it is one of the first things they will check if you get in an accident.
Being lazy, is not a defense for breaking safety rules/regulations, safety accepts NO excuses.
Your age is irrelevant, if you want to keep on living while driving then buckle-up.
Yes, it's that simple.

Old 07-04-2023, 07:00 PM

for those of you that think i dont use my seat belt, this is for when i back out of my garage or stop and get my mail and don't want to buckle up to drive another 100 feet at 10 mph. I drive with my seatbelt on so dont make assumptions and dont tell me about staying safe. Ive been driving longer than most of you have been alive.
Why is it there is an assumption about age on this forum, Of all the forums I am on this MAZDA forum has statements like this often?
I drove legally in Ca when there was no seat belt laws, but realized that during racing I had to have them in my vehicle to race. Hmmmmm,, so common since need I go on about that. LOL

Old 07-04-2023, 10:50 PM

Seat belt extensions might be your answer. They close the seat belt sensor so no alarm.
Cruise control will continue to work as well. Of course use your belts.

Old 07-05-2023, 02:01 PM

For those complaining about the chime because you moved it out of your garage to wash it or to drive 100 feet to your mailbox: is it REALLY that annoying? You're spending all of only 15 seconds driving it like that.

Quick Reply: 2023 CX-5, disable seat belt chime