Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2022 CX5 NA - Exhaust odor during warm-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 11:47 AM

BTW the power is linear during the break in stage, and nothing is sudden or "freed" up at any given miles. This is with all new engines!
I did say or imply that the 'power' was any different. On the new cars I've owned over the years, there was a small but noticeable increase in fuel mileage at or around
the 12-15 Thousand mile mark and another small bump at about 25,000 miles. As I'm not driving in race mode at all, just normal work/home/shopping type duties,
'power' as such isn't and wasn't part of my experiences.
My weekly routine doesn't vary much.

​​​​​​​My 2¢

Old 12-10-2022, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
I did say or imply that the 'power' was any different. On the new cars I've owned over the years, there was a small but noticeable increase in fuel mileage at or around
the 12-15 Thousand mile mark and another small bump at about 25,000 miles
. As I'm not driving in race mode at all, just normal work/home/shopping type duties,
'power' as such isn't and wasn't part of my experiences.
My weekly routine doesn't vary much.

My 2¢
Good information and supports what I was posting about the break-in of the Mazda engine!

I rarely race or aggressively drive my Mazda. It may seem as I do but it is our houses "Dailey Driver" first and foremost. It is also not even close to performing like my Mini is. LOL
Both my MINIs have more power better MPG, lighter and handle almost .75G greater is most all turns. But I still love my Mazda!
Even my PT Cruiser out powers my Mazda even at the current power levels.... lol

Old 12-11-2022, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
This is a MAZDA not a BMW and also a TM registered and under several Patent as well patent pending engineered and developed Mazda only Skyactiv engine.
I might add the BMW does not build all their engines as they once did. Many BMW built models use Chrysler engine LOL
And YES some of those have very long mileage in the 10-15k to be fully broke in!!!!
The except would be those that are built with plasma ceramic ring and a plateau finish hone with fully floating sleeves. LOL

There has been almost no documentation with any auto manufactures in decades about the break-in or wear in of engine and transmission. They realized decades ago that people are going to drive them as they way the way they know how. The warranties for engine damage caused by less than the best break in is rare. But then DYNO those engines from general public clearly shows less power fully developed and many do not even hit the specification mark claimed by the auto manufactures in their vehicle power information. I will say to that comment that most auto manufactures do not participate in the certification to post real engine power rating and can without posting that certification can use anything numbers they want in their power rating specifications. Mazda currently does not use the SAE J1349 or SAE J1995 to post real actual power ratings!
Obviously it is a Mazda.... The skyactiv engine isn't so different in general. I have never noticed in my OM, or seen any other documention/forum posts saying these engines require a prolonged break-in procedure.

Mazda has been caught before with overzealous power ratings. Remember the 2001 NB Miata fiasco? They released a revised 1.8L 16 valve motor with VVT. The initial claim was 155hp (up from the previous engine's 140hp), but when the car was dynoed by owners, it only had 142hp and Mazda had to revise the specs. Lots of pissed off people over that one. Ford had a similar issue with the SVT Mustang back in the early 2000's.

Old 12-11-2022, 11:36 AM

waiting lol
This guy goes so predictable on a couple of forums.

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Obviously it is a Mazda.... The skyactiv engine isn't so different in general. I have never noticed in my OM, or seen any other documentation/forum posts saying these engines require a prolonged break-in procedure.

Mazda has been caught before with overzealous power ratings. Remember the 2001 NB Miata fiasco? They released a revised 1.8L 16 valve motor with VVT. The initial claim was 155hp (up from the previous engine's 140hp), but when the car was dynoed by owners, it only had 142hp and Mazda had to revise the specs. Lots of pissed off people over that one. Ford had a similar issue with the SVT Mustang back in the early 2000's.
No one caught " Mazda" ! lol Your information is sorta of accurate but you may looked further into both your examples of why the power rating were change. It had nothing to do with people claiming what they got on a Dyn runs. LOL
You realize there is waaaaaay more then what you all see on all those thousands of posted Dyno results right ? LOL The least is any auto manufacture saying "ya you caught us golley gee will revise our information" ! LOL

As far as a break-n for engine this goes without saying as I already explained why you don't see it on most all information about engines! And the word "prolonged" who said that? You are assuming that there is a set miles.... I said the MAZDA Skyactiv break in is between and up to 15k miles. Exactly what is prolonged? My conclusion was based on performing several compression tests on a few engines , performing several DYNO testing up to the 15 k miles. Also completely tearing down 3 engines with 5000 to 20k miles and meticulously measuring every part in the engine and even having a few parts sent out to have them x-rayed. LOL ​​​​​

Old 12-11-2022, 11:45 AM

This a MAZDA forum and this thread is about MAZDA's not other vehicles .

This thread and the engine mentioned as well this forums thread location is mainly SkyActiv engines.
Some members really should ask the question and go research the answer..... Once this is done maybe a few will stop comparing it to other engines not Mazda???

What exactly is the deal with SkyActiv engines anyway?

Old 12-12-2022, 07:48 AM

Pissed off people?
Mazda at one point did claim the 2001 edition would obtain 155bhp and those who did dyno testing found it achieved only 142hp.
Which was up 2 hp over the 2000.
What did Mazda do????
I'll tell you, because a friend of mine purchased one (he's owed multiple ones).
Mazda offered him, and those who bought the 2001, two choices.
1. Bring it back for a full refund
2. Or to keep the vehicle and accept a $500 debit card and the promise of a year’s free vehicle maintenance compliments.
Like everyone else apparently, he grabbed his $500 and free maintenance because according to Mazda no Miata's were returned.
By the way, he has been happy with all his Miatas, he says never buys them for hp, that's not what they are about.

Old 12-16-2022, 02:59 PM

During warm up the fueling is richer.... sounds normal to me. The HO2 (commonly miss called O2 sensors) is in open loop for 1-3 minute during that time the exhaust is warmed the HO2 then go into open loop. The coolant is not warmed for several more minutes or until it reaches 129,9 . At that time the CAT ,the coolant and your fueling are normal operating conditions. In extremely cold temperatures all of these start up condition can increase up to 5 minutes or more. You should also notice that the engine cold starting will sound much loader for the first 1-3 minutes as well.
Thanks - thats exacty whats going on as my am start up temps are in the 20s-30s even in the garage - longer warm up time - not burning oil as I change ot myself -
appreciate that

Old 12-16-2022, 03:07 PM

During warm up the fueling is richer.... sounds normal to me. The HO2 (commonly miss called O2 sensors) is in open loop for 1-3 minute during that time the exhaust is warmed the HO2 then go into CORRECTION not open CLOSED loop. The coolant is not warmed for several more minutes or until it reaches 129,9 . At that time the CAT ,the coolant and your fueling are normal operating conditions. In extremely cold temperatures all of these start up condition can increase up to 5 minutes or more. You should also notice that the engine cold starting will sound much loader for the first 1-3 minutes as well.
Originally Posted by diehard888
Thanks - thats exacty whats going on as my am start up temps are in the 20s-30s even in the garage - longer warm up time - not burning oil as I change ot myself -
appreciate that
sorry you are quoting me I re-read my post and saw a correction I did not catch. lol
I am sure anyone reading the original would have figured what I meant to say anyway?