Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 CX-5 - Nuts and Bolts on Chassis and Body

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 12:32 AM
Default 2022 CX-5 Chassis - Nuts/Bolts tightening service rec.

On my 22 CX-5 NA - The owners manual says " T " for tighten the nuts & bolts on the chassis and body at 7500 mi / next 15k mi - I havent gone in for this service but am going to do it next week and have 17k miles logged - theres no charge from the dealer - it seems like a normal thing - but it also seems like it could be a mainly for the dealer service dept to look for other things to do that do require a charge - ?

Has anyone had this done ? Im just skeptical as few things are " free " - Having chassis & body bolts needing re-torquing is something I have not had to do on any other new car Ive purchased - or seen it in the service reccomendations of the owners manual - except this one -

Last edited by retread888; 05-21-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-21-2023, 11:00 PM

If they check that everything is tight then I'd feel good about that (obviously without charging you extra). But as you mentioned, they could try to use it as a selling point for something you don't need. Just see if they try anything.

Old 05-22-2023, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
If they check that everything is tight then I'd feel good about that (obviously without charging you extra). But as you mentioned, they could try to use it as a selling point for something you don't need. Just see if they try anything.
Thank you for the reply !!!

Ive historically done most minor services myself with ramps , jackstands and a hydrolic lift - but there are things which require a stable shop lift - and honestly I dont like going to any dealership - for anything , as nobody cares about your car like you do - im going to tip my tech since Im in a new state looking for a regular master tech ( and wll always cand have him show me the bolts and the torque specs for the next - chassis check up which I will perform myself --and to know what is also required - tire rotations - well theres another shop lift requirement - and like it to be at 95 ft/lbs / which is near the middle of the reccomended 80-108 ft-lbs in the owners manual - i get hime , pull my torque wrench and its always off by up to 5 ft/lbs or more on a few tires - this is one way rotors get warped , particularly in summer heat ( so it gets your wallet warped as well - - so I bring my torque wrench with me and put it on the passenger seat/ and check it right there B-4 departing - oil overfills are nearly standard and the service writers often have this reply practiced in the mirror " Its a minor thing which will burn kkk - I honesty believe most dealers care - but after the skyactive launch in 2012-13 , Mazda has become so popular that the previous personal service by techs that loved and often owned Mazdas has changed into a high volume money mill of people who are trained to maximize the cost and replace cabin filters for $85 , that cost $12 at the oarts counter - and 5 minutes to replace it by lowering the glove box- I miss the days of Mazdas underdog service techs who often did many extras at zero cost to build customer loyalty - Its still exists - but takes diligent research and research to find that one place that genuinely cares about your satisfaction and not your wallet tik lol

Last edited by retread888; 05-22-2023 at 03:09 AM.
Old 05-22-2023, 12:27 PM

Unless you can visually watch, it is really hard to know it they have actually done it or not.

Old 05-22-2023, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Unless you can visually watch, it is really hard to know it they have actually done it or not.
LOB / Did you get this service done ? Dealer claims its free - so my skepticisim went into OD .-Thnx

Old 05-22-2023, 03:15 PM
Default If its free

Originally Posted by retread888
LOB / Did you get this service done ? Dealer claims its free - so my skepticisim went into OD .-Thnx
If its free ,why wouldn't you just have it done ? Ya never know what they may find.

Old 05-22-2023, 05:53 PM

I did not have this done.
As I stated, without me personally verifying it, I'd have no idea if they did or did not do it.
If it is a free service, then have them do it.
At least then, for peace of mind, you can think it has been done even if it hasn't

Last edited by Lobstah; 05-23-2023 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
If its free ,why wouldn't you just have it done ? Ya never know what they may find.
I am going to get it checked- Thanks - After all Mazda clearly has it listed in scheduled maintainence and it may only apply to rare situations or , those who drive their vehicles abusively - and no doubt connected to preventative maintsinence ..to keep warranty issues low
-- Its a long drive and a full day off commitment to do it , - as I live in the sticks .... but your logic is clearly spot on - Its funny , I have historically been able to help many friends with thier car issues , but when it comes to my car - I often need another opinion to make the call on some things - funny - cars for people who exert the effort that we do to get everything precisely right in these forums must have a few chassis bolts that need tightening anyway - well , at least a few of us -....;-)- appreciate the help
​​​​​​​

Old 05-22-2023, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
I did not have this done.
As I stated, without me personally verifying, it I'd have no idea if they did or did not do it.
If it is a free service, then have them do it.
At least then, for peace of mind, you can think it has been done even it hasn't
Well im doing it - but after calling 3 dealers , and none of the svcs writers had heard of it ...i was perplexed - finally on dealer 4 - the Svcs Mgr - said , yes - do it -
Thanks L

Old 05-23-2023, 06:01 AM

Technically if it is on the manufacturer maintenance list, they should be doing it without asking.
And yet you got 4 different answers from 4 different dealers.
It is not something I've ever seen required on any of my past road vehicles.
Motorcycles yes, but I did those myself to verify they were done and done correctly.
As I've said, there is no way to prove or disprove a bolt has been tightened without actually observing it.
I would be interested in seeing the details on your work order when they complete the "tightening" procedure.
Just curious as to how specific they will be.
Hopefully you can plan that long day out and try and enjoy yourself with a loaner vehicle instead of being stuck at the garage.

Quick Reply: 2022 CX-5 - Nuts and Bolts on Chassis and Body