Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2022 CX-5 - CarPlay crashing with BlackVue dashcam

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 05:45 AM
Lightbulb 2022 CX-5 - CarPlay crashing with BlackVue dashcam

Hi all,

New here. Just wanted to throw this into the internet for the other poor souls (and dealers) who will be inevitably also scratching their heads at this issue.

On the same day as I collected my brand new 2022 Mazda CX-5, I installed a BlackVue DR750X-1CH-32-Plus dashcam. Not long after installing it, the entire infotainment system in the CX-5 started freaking out whenever my iPhone was connected to it via CarPlay (wired) after a couple of minutes of starting the car. Symptoms included:
  • CarPlay freezing (i.e. all buttons not doing anything, including power and reset combo)
  • CarPlay crashing to Mazda home screen
  • CarPlay not being available after crashing or reconnecting USB (even after vehicle restart)
  • Power delivery to phone turning off and on every ~ten seconds (i.e. charging, not charging, charging, not charging; like it was being connected and disconnected repeatedly).
  • (Less common) Mazda system being unresponsive and jumpy
  • (Less common) Mazda system crashing to black screen and not turning back on (even after vehicle restart) (hint: leave car off for a full ten minutes)
The long and short of it is that this is happening whenever my iPhone is connected to the BlackVue dashcam's own WiFi network (which exists for viewing videos and changing settings). To setup the dashcam I had to connect to this WiFi network via the BlackVue app on my phone. Ever since the setup, when starting the CX-5 the dashcam would boot up its WiFi network and after a couple of minutes my iPhone automatically connects to it (as it does for any other known WiFi network). As soon as this auto-connection happens, the infotainment issues start. Unfreezing CarPlay is as simple as toggling off WiFi either on my phone or the dashcam; It's almost instantly back to normal.

Obviously, I just went into WiFi settings on my phone and turned auto-connect off for the BlackVue WiFi network. I could have also disabled WiFi on the dashcam for the same effect, however this isn't an RF interference issue, it's software either on the part of Apple or Mazda.

So there you go, a big FYI. Does this effect other dashcams? Who knows. Is it because the network doesn't have access to the internet? Unsure. Why does the phone's wireless network impact its wired ability connect and cooperate with the infotainment system? Bad software design probably.

Happy to have this fixed on my new car (which is awesome!). Hope it helps someone else out there, or even better: they fix it! I spent way too much time swapping fuses before I figured this one out

Old 03-21-2022, 02:30 PM

Curious about how the BlackVue dashcam operates. I'm running a Garmin 47 Dashcam and powering it thru my rearview mirror using an adapter sold by "Dongar Technologies."
I installed this one for my specific trim : https://dongar.tech/products/mazdaframeless. So far so good. It was an easy install, and have had no issues with my infotainment or any weird quirks for that matter.

Old 03-23-2022, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by arnoldinho
Curious about how the BlackVue dashcam operates. I'm running a Garmin 47 Dashcam and powering it thru my rearview mirror using an adapter sold by "Dongar Technologies."
I installed this one for my specific trim : https://dongar.tech/products/mazdaframeless. So far so good. It was an easy install, and have had no issues with my infotainment or any weird quirks for that matter.
That's super interesting! I'm guessing that only provides power when the car is turned on, however?

The BlackVue essentially has two wires, one to ACC (for accessories) which powers the unit when the car is on, like any other dashcam, and a second wire for BAT which is tapped into a constant fuse and allows the camera to run even when the car is off (recording 24/7 until the car's battery gets too low).

Perfect for recording the crooks that keep breaking into my building's basement, without them ever knowing