Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Mazda CX-5 nav card issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 02:19 PM
Default 2021 Mazda CX-5 nav card issue

Just recently purchased a 2021 Mazda CX-5 Carbon Turbo (has just over 600 miles on it), but it did not come with the Navigation sd card. I purchased one off of eBay and it worked perfectly. Updated maps in Mazda Toolbox and have a 3 year subscription for map updates. After 2 weeks of working great my infotainment system started rebooting when I started the car. It would go into a continuous boot loop. Looked at the screen and saw that the nav system started loading and then saw a message stating “Unexpected Error. Restarting”. That is why the continuous rebooting. Took out the navigation sd card and no more rebooting. Put it back in and same thing. Thought it must be a bad card so I ordered another one from a different vendor and same thing. System reboots continuously when the new sd card is inserted. Both cards have the correct TD2K 66 EZ1 part number. Anyone else had this experience with the Mazda sd card?

Old 04-13-2021, 04:19 PM

I have the same SD card in my 2021 GTR and no issues. The nav works as it is supposed to. Maybe have your dealer take a look???

Old 04-13-2021, 05:24 PM

There are a lot of clones on eBay. I bought mine from NavKings which claims it's an OEM pull from a rental fleet and have not had any problems with it. Since you were able to update it with toolbox, use the toolbox backup and make a new SD card using a good name-brand card like Sandisk Extreme Pro and see if that fixes the rebooting problem.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:04 PM

I purchased my card from Nav Kings also. Toolbox would not back it up to new scandisk sd card. Copied files over would not work at all. Took car back to dealership and they spent over an hour checking out the system but could find nothing wrong. Told me if I purchased the $399 sd card from them and it did not work then the warranty would cover repairs but they would not be able to do anything with the Nav King card because they don’t know what chip is in it and it is not a genuine Mazda product.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:35 PM
Default Cloning

Rather than copying the files or using toolbox try cloning the card to a new one; that solved my woes on a 2016 Mazda 3. (I think I used Rufus to do the clone but I could be mistaken).

Old 04-27-2021, 12:48 PM

Definitely a problem with the Mazda CX-5 navigation system. NavKings sent a second card with same results. When I insert the sd card the system continually reboots. Car only has 781 miles on it at this point and dealer checked out the system but could find no problems. Only way the dealer will investigate further or fix the system is if I purchase the $399 navigation sd card from them. Then if it doesn’t work they will fix it under warranty. Looks like if I want the navigation system I will have to fork over the $399 for the “official” Mazda sd card.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:34 PM

I just ordered a card from NavKing for my brand new CX-5 GT-R. I hope i don't have this issue but will know first of next week when it arrives.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:42 AM

When you removed the card you continued to have problems with your infotainment system?

Originally Posted by Mike Whaley
Definitely a problem with the Mazda CX-5 navigation system. NavKings sent a second card with same results. When I insert the sd card the system continually reboots. Car only has 781 miles on it at this point and dealer checked out the system but could find no problems. Only way the dealer will investigate further or fix the system is if I purchase the $399 navigation sd card from them. Then if it doesn’t work they will fix it under warranty. Looks like if I want the navigation system I will have to fork over the $399 for the “official” Mazda sd card.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:51 AM
Default Nav Kings

I've found several cards on Ebay, but the only NavKing seller I found didn't have any products listed in their store. I've Google them and come up empty. What was NavKing selling their cards for? I found a seller w/100+ sales of this card & a 98% approval rating who's selling it for $52.

Old 10-25-2021, 04:48 PM

Having the same issue with my recently purchased 2021 GTR, except that I actually bought the dealer card ($200 my cost). Took it in for this issue last Saturday (10/23/21). Dealer service can't see any problem, lot # of card is good, upgraded the firmware, let the vehicle run for an hour, with no issues, diagnotsics showed no codes. Sunday morning, it reboots again! I'm taking the card out for the remainder of the week per their suggestion, then I'll report results back to them. They are the largest Mazda dealership in the state, but according to them they have never seen this problem on the new models, only on older ones.

Quick Reply: 2021 Mazda CX-5 nav card issue