Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Mazda c/m-5 87 octane

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 09:47 PM
Default 2021 Mazda c/m-5 87 octane

Hi, recently I purchased a 2021 cx-5 with preferred package and I love it. Question. Do I have to cheap out and to use 87 regular or is better to use 91 premium for this car. Somewhere I saw there is no difference in the cars the octane in the gas.
thanks

Last edited by Vag-11031971; 12-20-2021 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 12-20-2021, 10:54 PM

NA engines in Mazda vehicles call for 87 octane. The Turbo engines "recommends" 92 octane.
You CAN use 87 if you wish, but performance takes a hit.

My 2¢

Old 12-21-2021, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Vag-11031971
Hi, recently I purchased a 2021 cx-5 with preferred package and I love it. Question. Do I have to cheap out and to use 87 regular or is better to use 91 premium for this car. Somewhere I saw there is no difference in the cars the octane in the gas.
thanks
This is a non-turbo CX-5 correct? If so the only benefit to you paying for premium is to bump the petroleum companies bottom lines... I don't understand your logic of "cheaping out" buying 87 octane gas. If your car is designed for 87, there is no advantage to paying for higher grades.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
NA engines in Mazda vehicles call for 87 octane. The Turbo engines "recommends" 92 octane.
You CAN use 87 if you wish, but performance takes a hit.

My 2¢
Dennis,
I'm very curious, where did you see that regarding Mazda turbos recommending 92?

Old 12-22-2021, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
Dennis,
I'm very curious, where did you see that regarding Mazda turbos recommending 92?
Considering you don't get the 250hp without the higher octane, it kind of confirms it without saying...

Old 12-22-2021, 09:52 AM

The engine and the ECU programing will allow for the use of several octane values depending on what country you are in. The power rating generated by MAZDA are from the use of 90+ octane fuel. The use of lower octane fuels also lowers the total output of the engine which can and does affect the MPG and the in some case depending on where and how you're driving the health of the engine. Remember that power ratings are at the estimated safe RPM of the engine which most drivers seldom or never operate their engine at.

Anyone that connects to the OBDII diagnostic connector can actually see what the ECU is doing between the different octane values.

Also, as you get higher in mileage the condition of the engine will benefit more by the use of higher-octane fuel because DI engine and the shortcomings not yet solved some regarding the inductive system.

Turbocharged engines get a "MYTH" constantly brought up about the use of fuels. Yet the funny thing is we still have the situation that most never operate their engine at the extreme limits of their design. In other words, the power will be their when you need it but most drivers never push the limits or drive boosting high levels for long periods of time. On average I would guess maybe when you need to pass a slower vehicle on the highway quickly is the most common. And the torque values DO require higher octane fuel to support a good power output without damaging the engine.

MAZDA does not participate in the auto manufacturing industry SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) code J1940 and J1995 Engin Power and Torque Rating Procedure. So, they can print basically anything they feel they can get away with. The auto manufactures that do can and do post that they are ASE J1995 and J1940 approved so that means what they print is what the engine develops.

Last edited by Callisto; 12-22-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
Dennis,
Yup, I am curious also.
My understanding is that Turbo owners have a choice.
1) use low octane and you will get this amount of torque/power from the engine

OR

2) Use higher octane gasoline and you get this other amount of toque/power from the engine.

Essentially, it is your choice.
The folks that write the owners manual are typically precise in their wording. If they mean to say they recommend something, they will write it that way.

Old 12-22-2021, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by pilozm
Yup, I am curious also.
My understanding is that Turbo owners have a choice.
1) use low octane and you will get this amount of torque/power from the engine

OR

2) Use higher octane gasoline and you get this other amount of toque/power from the engine.

Essentially, it is your choice.
The folks that write the owners manual are typically precise in their wording. If they mean to say they recommend something, they will write it that way.
Actually, IIRC, Mazda says 91 octane is the "recommended" grade of fuel, a miss-type on my part.
The computer will retard the timing, and maybe make other adjustments, when it detects ping/pre-ignition.
My 2¢

Old 12-22-2021, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Actually, IIRC, Mazda says 91 octane is the "recommended" grade of fuel, a miss-type on my part.
The computer will retard the timing, and maybe make other adjustments, when it detects ping/pre-ignition.
My 2¢
WOW! A response that actually is pretty good from you?
However, the ECU does not necessarily retard the timing on a Skyactiv engine, and the ECU does not necessarily use ping/pre-ignition condition reported by the knock sensor to change operating perimeter's when simply using 87 octane fuels over 91+ octane fuels. In most cases it simply changes the timing curve measure by the % of throttle angle. Naturally that is also added to various other sensor imputes. Automatic transmission Skyactiv MAZDA's TCMs plays a part and can be felt how the transmission responds in each gear underload conditions and compared using 87 vs 91or greater octane gasoline.

Last edited by Callisto; 12-22-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Considering you don't get the 250hp without the higher octane, it kind of confirms it without saying...
Understood about the higher octane giving the 250hp. I was asking about why Mazda recommends 91 octane for the turbos.

Quick Reply: 2021 Mazda c/m-5 87 octane