Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 CX-5 Heavy Steering (Can it be modified?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 08:28 AM
Default 2021 CX-5 Heavy Steering (Can it be modified?)

Hey Mazda Forum,

Im very new here and just pulled off the lot a few days ago with my new 2021 CX-5 Touring. The car is beautiful and it drives great, but we (my wife and I) have noticed the steering to be pretty heavy and tight, especially for her. Now the car has less than 100 miles on it, so I assume that as the suspension and mechanics in the steering system break in the steering will loosen up a bit, but I'm wondering if the dealer can do any adjustment to help loosen up that tightness. My wife commutes with the car and has noticed a lot of wrist fatigue from turning the wheel. We test drove two different CX-5s before this purchase, and while we noticed the steering was tighter than her Crosstrek, it didnt seem this tight... Seeing as this is my first Mazda, I look to the other drivers here for their experiences!

Thanks!

Old 11-23-2020, 08:51 AM

Unless there is something mechanically wrong which I do not think is the case, the steering feel or how it operates can not be adjusted on that MAZDA. Never the less take it to MAZDA and have them look at it also check your tire pressure.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:02 AM
BWJ

Even if you are stationary, the steering wheel can be turned without any problems with a finger- there must be a fault.

Old 11-23-2020, 05:03 PM

I noticed that my 2021 CX-5 has heavier than expected steering, heavier than the 2020 I test drove. I do like heavier steering though, so that's a welcome change as far as I'm concerned.

On my 3 previous VW Golfs, I was able to change the steering power assist with a computer and OBDII scan tool. I bet the dealership can change it on the Mazda, but they won't...

Old 11-23-2020, 05:28 PM

Why do all you think that dealerships have full access to the ECU maps? They don't! Unless there is a service update or service procedure for a single map that can be changed and generally this is only with a flash and not a "HUMAN" doing incremental adjustment changes then few platforms really can do much else. For the most part that is in the aftermarket world that has cracked security codes and accessed a ECU and the maps. GERMAN vehicle manufactures specifically BMW and BMW/MINI has the hardest ECUs to crack security entry codes to access the ECU maps.
If I am not mistaken the electric steering on MAZDA is also part of the ABS and other safety systems and perhaps that may be why there may not be any service adjustments having to do with the steering?

Old 11-25-2020, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback, does anyone know if theres a tuning chip for CX-5s that gives any adjustment to steering? I know some other car brands have different driving modes that effect steering so in my mind it wouldn't be too out of bounds to think someones found a way to program that into an ODB2 chip....

Old 11-25-2020, 02:40 PM
BWJ

Originally Posted by Callisto
Why do all you think that dealerships have full access to the ECU maps? They don't! Unless there is a service update or service procedure for a single map that can be changed and generally this is only with a flash and not a "HUMAN" doing incremental adjustment changes then few platforms really can do much else. For the most part that is in the aftermarket world that has cracked security codes and accessed a ECU and the maps. GERMAN vehicle manufactures specifically BMW and BMW/MINI has the hardest ECUs to crack security entry codes to access the ECU maps.
If I am not mistaken the electric steering on MAZDA is also part of the ABS and other safety systems and perhaps that may be why there may not be any service adjustments having to do with the steering?
Perhaps because this is the case, at least in DK. Any parameter can be changed in ECU, just like ex.Mercedes with a STAR tester.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by BWJ
Perhaps because this is the case, at least in DK. Any parameter can be changed in ECU, just like ex.Mercedes with a STAR tester.
- please re-read exactly what I posted._
Sure you could change any ECU map if you have the security codes to access the ECU/TCM. Which btw Mercedes does NOT offer to any authorized dealership anywhere in the world!
You need the to first access the ECU maps and know what your are doing. If you just happen to be fortunate to navigate and find the global setting you could really mess your ECU operation system up end up getting a tow to a dealership for a flash to restore to factory settings. The tool and and access requires a specialized program that is not normally availed through any auto manufacture that I am aware of. If you know please post the information.

chriszep
There is no after market company that currently offers any OBDII or CANbus to the ECU for steering changes.

Old 11-26-2020, 09:39 AM
BWJ

"Mercedes does NOT offer to any authorized dealership anywhere in the world!"
We do it all the time with STAR Entry here at Starmark. (authorized dealer)

Old 11-26-2020, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by BWJ
"Mercedes does NOT offer to any authorized dealership anywhere in the world!"
We do it all the time with STAR Entry here at Starmark. (authorized dealer)
Dude you are picking and choosing my words to suit your responses. I would like for you to show me a single map with the TM mark indicating it is a Mercedes ECU program that access a Mercedes ECU for the purpose calibration adjustments or better a screen shot of the steering mapping in the Mercedes ECU.

Ya see my freind I am one of those guys that offers ECU/EFI Performance Calibrating and have "full" access including global maps in a few platforms for the purpose of calibration changes and adjustments waaaaaaay outside of what a dealership or auto manufacture offer. Even more then some so called aftermarket "toooners" like ov. They just lock your ECU and do such small adjustment and for the price of that .... wow! lol .
soooooo maybe what you are saying might be slightly accurate only to access the ECU mapping for trouble shooting operation (but not detailed calibration adjustments) (I don't work on Mercedes in the capacity of Performance anything lol ) within the ECU or TCM but I would like to see it. So should be a simple task to post a Mercedes screen shot of the Mercedes ECU steering map you can make incremental adjustments and not a pe-programed map ? I would even except staged or "canned" adjustments.

Otherwise... well

But lets get real for a second shall we? This forum and specifically this thread is for and about a MAZDA!!!

So unless you or someone else has information that MAZDA can adjust setting which simply would be likely a pre set of staged ECU flashes to upload in a MAZDA ECU? What is the use of debating what other none MAZDA vehicles may or may not have for their ECUs anyway ? But it is fun to see what there might be available that I am not aware of having to do with ECU Calibrating. I can't keep up on every vehicle and what may or may not be available to access a ECU and or TCM to do fine adjustment calibrations. LOL

Last edited by Callisto; 11-26-2020 at 11:46 AM. Reason: couple of spelling and clarity changes

Quick Reply: 2021 CX-5 Heavy Steering (Can it be modified?)