Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2020 CX-5 heat fan

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 09:01 PM
Default 2020 CX-5 heat fan

Hi Everyone,

Just got my new car a month ago. My pet peeves are with the heating/AC system. One I've seen already is that the auto setting immediately blows max cold air from the outside. which is completely disfunctional. The second is that the fan never goes under speed "3" even when the car is at temperature, which is very loud. Can this be programmed anywhere?

Just hoping. Thanks.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:44 AM

I've noticed the same thing in my 2020 GT. What you describe is very annoying in the winter. I just shut the system off until the engine comes up to temperature to avoid the blast of cold air. It seems like the electronics in a $38k car would be more refined than that.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:57 PM

For whatever it's worth, for a comparison ...

2016.5 CX-5 GT, here, and it behaves much the same as described on your 2018.

It's fairly new to me (several months), so I've not fiddled with the heating and cooling choices much, yet. Generally, over this winter I've simply pressed the defrost and rear-window defrost buttons and adjusted the temp to "max" until it heats up. Seems to quickly go to one notch below the highest fan setting, when doing the F/R defrost like that.

Since it's been getting warmer, I've generally been hitting the fan-speed button manually and adjusting the temp **** manually. Works fine. Uncertain how automated these can be if using them differently, at least in the 2016.5 GT.

Have been all through the on-screen personalization settings that can be changed, and there's nothing in there about altering the fan speed or heating/AC choices. Don't recall seeing anything in the "personalization settings" area of the Owner's Manual, either.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:37 PM

This "feature" was not one that I expected, having climate control in a number of vehicles since the '90s and not one of them let the fan go on high before the care was warm enough to put out heat. This is a surprising lapse on Mazda's part.

So when the car is cold, I just turn the heater off and wait until the temp reads 120 degrees.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:16 AM

I was curious and i think a little more confused or misunderstanding? are you saying your Mazda can not give you heat when the car has been either off for a long time or its the very first start of the day. that is Until the engine temperature is such that it then allows the fan to pull heat from the engine to warm the cabin?

the reason I say I'm confused or misunderstanding the situation is. If this is your issue, i have never had a car do anything but this. As there was no other way for it to have heat from any other source, as it did not create heat electrically.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Arkainzeye
I was curious and i think a little more confused or misunderstanding? are you saying your Mazda can not give you heat when the car has been either off for a long time or its the very first start of the day. that is Until the engine temperature is such that it then allows the fan to pull heat from the engine to warm the cabin?

the reason I say I'm confused or misunderstanding the situation is. If this is your issue, i have never had a car do anything but this. As there was no other way for it to have heat from any other source, as it did not create heat electrically.
I think the issue is more that the initial speed of the fan at turn-on is high, instead of slowly ramping up the speed as the heated temp justifies it.

I've had other vehicles that have done slow fan speed initially but slowly get faster as the temp rises, when on Heat mode. Even those vehicles have done fast initial fan speed if doing Defrost. The CX-5 appears to do fast fan speed for both.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Arkainzeye

Thanks for responding. My initial post was a little confusing.. The two issues are:
  1. When I start the car, if the "auto" setting is on, the system senses that the temp in the car is cold, so turns the fan on high. What it doesn't sense is that the car engine is cold and the outside air is cold, so it just blows outside cold air inside the car. Minimally, the auto feature should not turn on the fan until the engine is warm enough to produce warm air. Ideally the car would recirculate inside air until the engine was warmed up at a low speed. It really isn't auto if you have to turn it on and off.
  2. The fan never goes below level three, even when the car's cabin temperature has reached the temperature you've set. The fan is loud and in order to set it to a lower speed you have to take the system off auto. Again, this is not auto. The fan should decrease in speed to low when the the temperature is reached. At the very least this should be programmable so the owner can decide how high he wants the fan to "idle" at in the auto setting