Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 CX-5 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Not to challenge you but I believe there are test strips for the brake fluid to see when it needs to be changed. I took my 2011 Tacoma to an indie shop several years ago when it was about 5yrs old. I asked to have the brake fluid changed. They took it back and then came back out and said my fluid tested fine. No need to change it. I have a personal friend who is a mechanic at a VW/Audi/Porsche dealer. He also tells me there is not really a time/mileage requirement. Just test the fluid and change it when it fails the test.

That being said I grew up with the 2-3yr intervals for brake fluid, coolant etc. It seems fluids last longer these days (or the intervals have changed).

There are. I've used them in the past. The problem is they test the fluid in the master cylinder. The fluid in the lines just moves back and forth a bit. I still flush mine periodically since it IS my braking system. If the engine fails, you sit. If the brakes fail, you need a crow bar to go to the bathroom.

Old 04-28-2023, 11:01 AM

This very much sounds like a service bulletin I recall reading on the CX-5 rear parking brake mechanism. You have a “sticky” rear brake mechanism causing drag. In reading other forums, the rear brakes will likely last 50,000 - 65,000 miles under non city conditions. My 2019 CX-5 Signature has 50,000 miles and so far no replacement of either, but I am suspecting the front brakes are nearly worn out. I have read the rear brakes on the CX-5 will likely wear out sooner than the front, which is contrary to vehicles of years past where one was replacing front brakes at twice or 3 times the rate than rear brakes.

Old 05-03-2023, 07:17 AM
Default Why more frequent brakes replacement on newer cars

Brake will need to be replaced more frequently, if your car has autonomous braking option. These cars tend to apply brakes more frequently to be cautious, hence I do not like this feature unless on major highway. It just increases brake wear and lose of fuel efficiency, when it breaks, uneccessarily.

Old 05-03-2023, 07:23 AM
Default 2022.5 mazda cx5 brakes

Originally Posted by DisiFTW
Service mode is easy, but there are a few variations on how engages/disengages. It does not require MDS access.

Engine off, Ignition on. Press and hold gas pedal, push and hold (sometimes pull and hold) the E-brake button, while also pressing the Start button to cycle through off-acc-ign on three times. You will hear the rear electric calipers disengaging (for about 5 seconds of a screwing noise) and the yellow Parking Brake light is illuminated on the dash. Sometimes you have to press/pull and hold the button, then gas pedal down, then press the Start button three times. It all depends on the model. The concept is the same.

Only then is it safe to push the rear caliper pistons back into place. Yes they push in, not screw in. Some models require the caliper piston to be precisely aligned to a notch on the in-board brake pad...failure of this alignment will result in numerous DTC codes and potentially damage/failure of the EPB (Electric parking Brake) itself. Never screw in a Mazda EPB. Only manual calipers must be screwed, FYI.

The procedure is the same for taking it out of Brake Service Mode, but reverse. if you pushed the button, now you pull it, and visa versa. You will hear the same screwing sound as before, much much quicker, and the yellow dash light will turn off.

Failure to activate Brake Service mode when replacing the rear brakes will result in failure the rear calipers and require replacement, 100% no ifs ands or buts.

Just take it to the dealer and let them fix it right the first time.
REPLY..

Have you tried this procedure on 2022.5+ model year to put brakes into service mode? Some claim this is pre older models only and does not work unless you have special advance odbc or service tool. Let me know which year and model you tried on.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:08 PM

Half highway, half city driving, rear brake pads lasted 43 k miles on 2018 MY. Fronts still have plenty of pad.

Decided to go with Raybestos Element 3 rotors and pads. Feels alot smoother and the braking power is similar to OEM, maybe slightly better.
What is definitely better is less dust than OEM.
my rims have decals so the dust is easy to see. The front OEM brake pad dust left considerable more dust than the raybestos pads. It's nice not having to clean the rear wheels as often. May switch the fronts early.
since the raybestos E3 composite pads have nice braking with reduced dust and they cost less than the OEM.
​​

Last edited by kilroy22; 05-22-2023 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:31 AM
Default Raybestos

Originally Posted by kilroy22
Half highway, half city driving, rear brake pads lasted 43 k miles on 2018 MY. Fronts still have plenty of pad.

Decided to go with Raybestos Element 3 rotors and pads. Feels alot smoother and the braking power is similar to OEM, maybe slightly better.
What is definitely better is less dust than OEM.
my rims have decals so the dust is easy to see. The front OEM brake pad dust left considerable more dust than the raybestos pads. It's nice not having to clean the rear wheels as often. May switch the fronts early.
since the raybestos E3 composite pads have nice braking with reduced dust and they cost less than the OEM.
​​
raybestos, where did u buy them and how much? Thanks

Old 05-23-2023, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mazdagus
raybestos, where did u buy them and how much? Thanks
Rockauto
$30 per rear rotor and $22 for pads.
Under $100 for two Raybestos EHT Element 3 rotors and pads.

They still create more dust than ceramics. But less dust than the OEM.

I initially went with the E3 compound because ceramic eat rotors and stop sharper. I wanted more of an OEM feel and wanted the rotors to last.

After looking into it, apparently the Raybestos hybrids have some ceramic in them as well as a proprietary blend of other materials.

So they may end up being just similar to OEM in rotor wear.
However, the low dust and brake feel are still good points with me.

Last edited by kilroy22; 05-23-2023 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:25 AM

Aren't the OEM pads ceramic? My 21 seems to have barely any dust. I assumed they were ceramic.

Old 05-23-2023, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Aren't the OEM pads ceramic? My 21 seems to have barely any dust. I assumed they were ceramic.
Maybe they changed formulations?
Whatever is on my 2018 creates alot of dust.
there's no way OEM on 2018 is straight ceramic.
Has to be some compound with organic mix, maybe a hybrid ceramic/organic or semi metallic/organic...not sure

Or maybe the dealer stuck some cheapie organics on before resale

EDITED- the Mazda brand OEM brake pads I took off look like a combination of organic and semi-metallic... Can clearly see the organic portions interwoven into the semimettalic which has some copper/brass color within the pad.

Last edited by kilroy22; 05-23-2023 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 03:35 PM

Just an FYI you really can not go by what they look like nor how much or how little brake dust is generated to know what the composition is of the pads. You must find the manufacture of the brake pad for the OE and read the material used and the percentages of each material used. Good luck with that. In the industry it is very proprietary and hard to gain access to that information. I personally do not give it out with my BBK I offer. Why give the competition the information to copy my BBK components. LOL
OE do not have Hybrid brake pads and at this point as far as I am aware reading the technical periodicals for mass produce daily driver you ar getting a generically mass produced pad nothing special. Mazda brake pads from about 2016 and newer has a good repetition of very low brake dust but and longevity in normal driving but not the best stopping that they could have with an better performance quality brake pad. The trade off will be more rotor wear and dirty wheels and tires.

Quick Reply: 2020 CX-5 Brakes