Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 CX5 and Maxlife ATF

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 12:55 PM
Default 2018 CX5 and Maxlife ATF

Hi, I wanted to ask about a specific ATF fluid for my wife’s 2018 Mazda CX5 2.5L and also my own 2021 Mazda 3 2.5L.

I have owned many cars and the past 10 years the only ATF fluid I have ever used is Valvoline Maxlife ATF because it’s backwards compatible to most makes and models. Maxlife is synthetic and I have never had a problem. Here is the product:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/VAL773775

However, I am fairly new to the Mazda brand and I plan to do my own maintenance once both of these vehicles is out of warranty. Will Maxlife AFT be a good option, or do have to use the Mazda brand?
Thank you

Old 07-12-2023, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ansan12001
Hi, I wanted to ask about a specific ATF fluid for my wife’s 2018 Mazda CX5 2.5L and also my own 2021 Mazda 3 2.5L.

I have owned many cars and the past 10 years the only ATF fluid I have ever used is Valvoline Maxlife ATF because it’s backwards compatible to most makes and models. Maxlife is synthetic and I have never had a problem. Here is the product:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/VAL773775

However, I am fairly new to the Mazda brand and I plan to do my own maintenance once both of these vehicles is out of warranty. Will Maxlife AFT be a good option, or do have to use the Mazda brand?
Thank you
I've used maxlife ATF on other vehicles but would never use it on a japanese vehicle.
Mazda has specific fluids for it's vehicles.
Go by your manual which most likely is
Mazda FZ or another FZ ATF like Ravenol FZ.

Last edited by kilroy22; 07-12-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:50 PM

There are make specific transmission fluids available on Amazon. IIRC, Toyota fluid is compatible with
most Mazda years. I believe Mazda started using their own transmissions during the 2016 model year, but don't
quote me.

My 2¢

Old 07-13-2023, 10:13 AM

There a few none OEM MAZDA ATF fluids that first and foremost meet the basic Mazda ATF requirement. In the case of Castrol, they are a little better than MAZDA. You can look at the specification and performance information that is published for all ATF fluids.

Changing the Transmission pan and filter at the earliest miles and then following up with a simple pan fluid change at 10-15k miles will not only show you any issues that may be starting but improve the transmission life and level of shifting. I would also recommend that when your drivetrain warranty has expired that you think about getting an aftermarket transmission cooler. The transmission fluids run at of at times higher than the coolant. These temperature ranges do not make for a happy transmission and can affect their life span and increase the probability of having problem at or above 100k miles.
Changing the pan fluid and filter and follow-up pan fluid changes will NOT void the warranty in any way of your transmission.
The use of other then MAZDA ATF will not void any MAZDA drivetrain warranty so long as you use the ATF that meets the MAZDA recommend requirements.

Old 07-13-2023, 01:39 PM

I don't know the difference between your car and my '08 CX-7.

But, I've changed my ATF with the spec for my car, I believe it was Mobil ATF 3309 that is the (synthetic) equivalent I used, purchased on Amazon.

Having used VML (valvoline maxlife) in my other car, a Honda Pilot, I also mixed in a quart of that with the 3309 I put in.

I would search for the specific spec of your car, look it up in the specifications of the owner's manual, in the back.

If you like VML, maybe try mixing it.

My CX-7 has 160,000 miles, transmission shifts perfect as always, I've drain/filled it 3 or 4 times over the life of the car, every 50-60k miles.

Old 07-13-2023, 02:38 PM

Mazda had different transmissions back then bzwyatt.
Mazda used Tranco (?) transmissions prior to 2016 and partially during that model year.
They have since built their own transmissions. That MAY affect the fluid specs, and it may not.
The fluid for both transmission are similar in any case.
My 2¢

Old 07-13-2023, 03:56 PM

Older transmissions none Skyactiv new designed by MAZDA could use almost any ATF. In fact the popular for street performance and track performance was B&M, RED LINE and AMZOIL, while many of the top ATF brand were also readily and successfully used in many applications like Castrol, Valvoline ,Pennzoil as long as you at least considered what the OE recommended for usage. The biggest real concern was the seals and type of o-rings that were used from the OE but not the clutches, servos, valve body and many other for the most part universally design internal transmission parts.
But so I don't get caught in a specification war with some members , please be very specific about your debate starter . It would help if you at least re-built a couple of automatic transmissions. LOL

Old 07-16-2023, 05:18 PM
Default Maxlife for Mazdas

Thanks for everyone who added to the conversation. My original question was the compatibility of Valvoline Maxlife ATF with my wife’s 2018 cx5 2.5L and my own 2021 3 2.5L.
I have reviewed the specs for Maxlife and the attached chart shows that this ATF is compatible with these Mazda fluids: M-V and FZ.
Am I correct in thinking that both of our cars have one of these two types of ATF fluids and thus, Maxlife ATF is compatible?
A 5 gallon box of Maxlife ATF goes for 120.00, I also have a 1998 Tahoe that loves this stuff. So, if Maxlife ATF is compatible with my Mazdas then it’s a no brainer for me to only have to buy one ATF fluid.

Old 07-16-2023, 05:36 PM

The transmission in both MAZDA are basically the same. ^^^^ My choice would still be first Castrol but Valvoline is a good second but that just because I have been using Castrol ATF for decades over other brands and I get distributor cost on cases of it.

and I will add my little qualifier to my post!

ASE