Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2018 CX-5 GT Uncomfortable Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by pcumby
Excluding size and cargo space it is the best
Yes, it is compact Though for European standards my compact VW Golf passes on as a family car, so compared to that the CX-5 is huge

Old 09-11-2020, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
Yes, it is compact Though for European standards my compact VW Golf passes on as a family car, so compared to that the CX-5 is huge
I think comparing it to the compact luxury crossovers segment like Audi q5 and BMW X3 it is near the top for cargo space, but for the main stream segment the CR V is the space leader.

Old 09-12-2020, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by pcumby
I think comparing it to the compact luxury crossovers segment like Audi q5 and BMW X3 it is near the top for cargo space, but for the main stream segment the CR V is the space leader.
Agreed, the Audi Q5 and BMW X3 are overpriced, and I personally don't like the styling of the CR-V and I think I am biased against CVT because of the negative input from other forum members

Old 09-21-2020, 08:24 AM

I have a 2018 i have made many trips from pittsburgh pa to Daytona Florida. My last one was a straight through drive, i can honestly say... i swear.. i have Zero issues with my seats... I’m 5’11. 195lbs my seat is so far back you probably cant see my head.. lol but I’m comfortable..

Old 10-11-2020, 06:00 PM
Unhappy 2019 CX-5 GT leather front seats uncomfortable

I have owned my 2019 CX-5 GT for approximately one year and the front leather seats are still very uncomfortable. The side bolsters are WAY to hard in my opinion. Tried various seat cushions but none have worked. Dealer has offered no help. Taking the car into an auto upholstery shop next week to have the seat side bolsters reworked with softer foam, etc.. Wish me luck. Hope this helps.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by jmacko1949
I have owned my 2019 CX-5 GT for approximately one year and the front leather seats are still very uncomfortable. The side bolsters are WAY to hard in my opinion. Tried various seat cushions but none have worked. Dealer has offered no help. Taking the car into an auto upholstery shop next week to have the seat side bolsters reworked with softer foam, etc.. Wish me luck. Hope this helps.
Cool, please let us know if this works. And if you don't mind, can you tell us how much it costs to do the rework?

Old 11-02-2020, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
Cool, please let us know if this works. And if you don't mind, can you tell us how much it costs to do the rework?
Had the side bolsters and front section of the lower portion of the driver's seat reworked with a much softer foam and the seat is way more comfortable now. Due to the design of the seat the auto upholstery shop was not able to replace as much hard foam as i wanted but they did make a huge improvement. Cost $250. The upholstery shop was surprised at how hard the original foam was. Too bad mazda does not offer a kit to do this

Old 11-03-2020, 04:20 PM

Just bought a 2018 CX-5 with 22K miles and I think the seats are great. I'm 6'2" 195 fwiw.

Old 11-14-2020, 12:25 PM
Default 2019 CX-5 Signature Hard Seats

Originally Posted by jmacko1949
This past summer I purchased a 2019 CX-5 Signature and while I absolutely love this car, I did notice the hard seats people have been concerned about. I, too, was disappointed and was wondering if this would be the shortest length of time I ever owned a vehicle. Then I tried a much different seating configuration. Instead of having the seat upward so I could get a better forward view over the car hood, I lowered the seat a lot. Then, instead of having the seat back somewhat vertical, I reclined it in a way a race care driver would have it (not nearly as exaggerated but you get the point). I immediately noticed the difference on the bottom of my thighs, by butt, my lower back, and even on the sides of my thighs, which surprised me. You immediately feel the weight distribution of your body evenly over the entire surface of the seat pad and seat back. For example, you know you’ve reclined the seat back sufficiently when from top to bottom of your back you feel light contact of your body weight onto the reclining part of the seat. You don’t feel the lower back squeezed anymore but a continuous light contact from the top of your back to the butt area (this is relieved significantly) and then through the upper thighs. Because I lowered the seat, the lower parts of my thighs feel zero pressure as they are every so slightly elevated. And, remarkably, through this seating configuration, the narrow part of the seat pad (due to those pronounced side pads), aren’t as noticeable anymore as your thighs aren’t being forced to squeeze into such a tight area. I recently drove from Los Angeles to Sacramento and back, 350 miles each way, and it was a very comfortable experience. The change was like night and day. I am 5’11 and 175 lbs so for some of you larger folks this may not solve everything, but I hope it alleviates much. If this works for you, please provide feedback to this forum! Good luck!

Old 11-14-2020, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by EFFlores
This past summer I purchased a 2019 CX-5 Signature and while I absolutely love this car, I did notice the hard seats people have been concerned about. I, too, was disappointed and was wondering if this would be the shortest length of time I ever owned a vehicle. Then I tried a much different seating configuration. Instead of having the seat upward so I could get a better forward view over the car hood, I lowered the seat a lot. Then, instead of having the seat back somewhat vertical, I reclined it in a way a race care driver would have it (not nearly as exaggerated but you get the point). I immediately noticed the difference on the bottom of my thighs, by butt, my lower back, and even on the sides of my thighs, which surprised me. You immediately feel the weight distribution of your body evenly over the entire surface of the seat pad and seat back. For example, you know you’ve reclined the seat back sufficiently when from top to bottom of your back you feel light contact of your body weight onto the reclining part of the seat. You don’t feel the lower back squeezed anymore but a continuous light contact from the top of your back to the butt area (this is relieved significantly) and then through the upper thighs. Because I lowered the seat, the lower parts of my thighs feel zero pressure as they are every so slightly elevated. And, remarkably, through this seating configuration, the narrow part of the seat pad (due to those pronounced side pads), aren’t as noticeable anymore as your thighs aren’t being forced to squeeze into such a tight area. I recently drove from Los Angeles to Sacramento and back, 350 miles each way, and it was a very comfortable experience. The change was like night and day. I am 5’11 and 175 lbs so for some of you larger folks this may not solve everything, but I hope it alleviates much. If this works for you, please provide feedback to this forum! Good luck!
That may explain why I've never had problems with the seats in either my CX5 or MX5.