Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2017 CX5 GT AWD Trailer Hitch and Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:45 AM

Firefox, I think you will find that the CX-5 tows with little effort, except for an expected drop in fuel economy. I haul a 4x8 trailer loaded to ~ 1,200 lbs and I don't even notice that it's there. The closed Uhaul trailer is a little more obvious but you do have to remind yourself that you have and extra 10 feet behind you when changing lanes, pulling off the road, and parking. And when backing up, you may only get a view of the Uhaul front. Good luck and be careful.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by seex5
Firefox, I think you will find that the CX-5 tows with little effort, except for an expected drop in fuel economy. I haul a 4x8 trailer loaded to ~ 1,200 lbs and I don't even notice that it's there. The closed Uhaul trailer is a little more obvious but you do have to remind yourself that you have and extra 10 feet behind you when changing lanes, pulling off the road, and parking. And when backing up, you may only get a view of the Uhaul front. Good luck and be careful.
seex5, thank you for the heads up. I will be moving in November and I have to tow a close UHaul trailer so that my Honda motorcycle will be secure inside the trailer, plus some of my things to move in the trailer. This will be the first in my life to tow in trailer. So I'm going to have the hitch installed and after the install, I will rent the cheapest trailer I can rent to practice backing up, parking, passing, etc.

Thanks for any other advice on trailering.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:43 PM

Hey guys first post here. I don't recall seeing a trailer hitch as an option from Mazda (at least for my 2016), so chances are it will not be pre-wired. However, it's been a few weeks since the OP posted, so any update?

I installed a Curt hitch along with their pre-made wiring connection on a lowered 2008 Scion xB. No splicing and the hardest part was just running a wire up to the battery. Otherwise a very straightforward one-man job.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:34 PM

Update: The trailer hitch on my Mazda CX-5 GT was installed last week by a professional trailer shop. Nope, no pre-wired connector for trailer electrical. Since the 2017 CX-5 have a lot of LED lighting system and a lot of Integrated Circuit controllers, they installed a $59 module for the trailer electrical needs. The wiring harness is inside the trunk. When towing, it needs to be pulled out and just let the backdoor close over it - no big deal. Total charge with all that are needed for towing a UHaul trailer was $429.58 including labor. I plan to rent a UHaul trailer next week to practice before I finally do a long distance one next month. I have to tow my motorcycle cross country.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by firefox111
Update: The trailer hitch on my Mazda CX-5 GT was installed last week by a professional trailer shop. Nope, no pre-wired connector for trailer electrical. Since the 2017 CX-5 have a lot of LED lighting system and a lot of Integrated Circuit controllers, they installed a $59 module for the trailer electrical needs. The wiring harness is inside the trunk. When towing, it needs to be pulled out and just let the backdoor close over it - no big deal. Total charge with all that are needed for towing a UHaul trailer was $429.58 including labor. I plan to rent a UHaul trailer next week to practice before I finally do a long distance one next month. I have to tow my motorcycle cross country.
Spend a lot time practicing backing. Also note that you will have to make wider turns o the trailer doesn't hit something or run over a curb.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg
Spend a lot time practicing backing. Also note that you will have to make wider turns o the trailer doesn't hit something or run over a curb.

I did spend time practicing last week. I rented a 5x8 closed UHaul trailer and rolled my bike in and it fits perfectly in that small trailer. I noticed that there are only 4 D-rings inside the trailer - 2 on the front corners and 2 in the back corners. I don't think those can withstand the straps that I'm gong to use to secure the bike. I may have to fabricate something to restrain the bike to prevent it from rocking side to side. Does anyone here have any tips on making sure that the bike is secure inside the trailer. I'll be towing the trailer for 1,750 miles mid November.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:06 PM

I did spend time practicing last week. I rented a 5x8 closed UHaul trailer and rolled my bike in and it fits perfectly in that small trailer. I noticed that there are only 4 D-rings inside the trailer - 2 on the front corners and 2 in the back corners. I don't think those can withstand the straps that I'm gong to use to secure the bike. I may have to fabricate something to restrain the bike to prevent it from rocking side to side. Does anyone here have any tips on making sure that the bike is secure inside the trailer. I'll be towing the trailer for 1,750 miles mid November.
It's been a while since I rented a U-Haul, but isn't there room to run straps behind the impact bars that line the sides and front of the trailer? You could run rope or straps on each side, forming a loop, and then connect the bike to the loops with bungee cords. That would provide some give if the bike shifts a bit, but still provide enough support to hold it upright (if you use strong rope and strong bungees).

I think I would also attach straps to the front of the trailer to keep it from sliding fore and aft while driving.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:30 PM

It's been a while since I rented a U-Haul, but isn't there room to run straps behind the impact bars that line the sides and front of the trailer? You could run rope or straps on each side, forming a loop, and then connect the bike to the loops with bungee cords. That would provide some give if the bike shifts a bit, but still provide enough support to hold it upright (if you use strong rope and strong bungees).

I think I would also attach straps to the front of the trailer to keep it from sliding fore and aft while driving.
This type of trailer only has D-rings to attach straps to. There are no "impact bars" that line the sides of this trailer. I may have to fabricate something to encase the bike with it propped up on the center stand - maybe a board on the trailer floor and screw down four 2x2 wood, 2 up front by the forks and 2 by the middle of the bike???

Old 10-14-2018, 08:40 PM

This type of trailer only has D-rings to attach straps to. There are no "impact bars" that line the sides of this trailer. I may have to fabricate something to encase the bike with it propped up on the center stand - maybe a board on the trailer floor and screw down four 2x2 wood, 2 up front by the forks and 2 by the middle of the bike???
If no impact bars, you are limited. It all depends on how strong those D-rings are and how they are fastened. Fabricating something may be your only backup.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:55 PM

If no impact bars, you are limited. It all depends on how strong those D-rings are and how they are fastened. Fabricating something may be your only backup.
Yes, I have to fabricate something. This is a 1,750-mile trip. The D-rings are tiny.

Quick Reply: 2017 CX5 GT AWD Trailer Hitch and Wiring