Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 CX5 Camera Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Default 2017 CX5 Camera Problem

Hello! I drive a 3-1/2 months old 2017 Mazda CX5. Last Saturday I went to the service department of the dealer where I bought it and complained that I have a problem with my front camera. It happened on two separate occasions. On a clear morning, temperature around 46F degrees, the information display was showing "Front Camera Blocked. Windshield Defog Necessary"! My windshield was clear (no leaves) and no fog on the windshield. Service did not see anything wrong with the front camera. This morning, as I was driving to work, it happened again. For three minutes or so it displayed that message so I pulled over and stopped the engine. After a minute, I started the engine and it was still showing the message. Concerned that I'd be late to work, I drove on. After half a mile, the message disappeared and the information display was normal and displayed my default Trip A display.

Has anyone here experienced the same issue? I also want to note that on rainy days, I don't have this issue! Even at times when I had to defog the windshield while driving through the rain.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:13 AM

I think...I repeat, I think...what your camera could be experiencing is a little fog up while driving. Think about when you use your washers in cooler temps. Your windshield gets a temporary fog when your wipers swipe. In cooler temps, that part of the windshield is not as warm as the rest of windshield getting heat from the defoggers or heater in the car. So, when you're driving that area could be fogging up from you driving through a cold pocket of air. What can you do? I don't really know. Could be that the cleaner you're using is leaving a film on the glass that is fogging a bit in those conditions. Do you use RainX. That stuff is essentially wax for glass. Maybe clean that area with soap and water to remove anything on the surface. The good news: a blocked front camera won't cause an accident.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:46 PM

Well, there was no rain, I was not using my windshield wiper. Very low humidity. Heater was not even on. No, I don't use RainX. If you read my original post, I wrote that I don't even get this issue on rainy days and even at times when I had to defog the windshield because of humidity. There's got to be something in the module that controls the camera that is sending false information to the onboard computer.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:14 AM

I don't know if I have a front camera (I didn't get the extra electronics option), but the other day it was raining and my backup camera got a big glop of water on it, making it virtually useless. It needs a miniwiper!