Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2016 Mazda CX-5 Map Card Update - Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 08:40 PM
Default 2016 Mazda CX-5 Map Card Update - Help Needed

Hello...first post I'm hoping someone can help. My wife has a 2016 Mazda CX-5 that we bought used a year ago. It came with an original Navigation maps SD card. The map update subscription expired. Rather than pay a renewal fee from Mazda Toolbox (software) I opted to buy a new SD card from online Mazda parts store (for considerably cheaper than dealer). What happened:
  • I tested the card in the vehicle and it worked. Therefore, I figured I could go into Mazda Toolbox, it would see it as an unused SD card, and allow me to update maps and start the new 3-year update subscription.
  • Instead, it prompted me to update maps...I said yes...it downloaded the same old maps that were on the original card, and applied the original already expired expiration date...thereby duplicating on the new card and making it worthless.
  • The company I bought it from just sent me a replacement to try with directions to leave it in the car for ~65 miles before opening Mazda Toolbox and inserting it...to see if that will work.
  • I also tried uninstalling the Mazda Toolbox software but when I put in the previous card it still popped up with the old expiration date.
Before I insert the new SD card into the car or computer to enable new subscription expiration and update the maps (and lock the VIN to it), what else should I do? Is there something I need to do in the car to wipe any previous information that it may write to the new card? I know you have to put it in the car first so that the VIN can imprint and lock on it...but I don't want to waste a new card if it is just going to write something that Mazda Toolbox will then just convert to the original expiration date. I just want to dispose of the old SD card and use the new one for new maps and a new 3-year expiration. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-29-2020, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

You can't cheat the system.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
You can't cheat the system.
Not the intent...thought I was just able to save a few bucks and was lead to believe I could either buy a new card OR use my original card and pay the online renewal fee. From what you're saying I assume that the "system" is that once a VIN has associated with any card at any time, a clock starts and the only way to extend expiration date is by paying through Mazda Toolbox...replacing with a genuine card doesn't work, correct? If that's the case I'll try to request a refund. The additional card(s) I bought are still brand new and genuine mazda parts.

Last edited by mikeynavy; 01-29-2020 at 06:40 AM.