Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 CX-5 Burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 09:54 PM
Angry 2016 CX-5 Burning oil

I have had a CX-5 for about six months now and it has less than 4000 miles on it. I checked the oil level recently and noticed that it was low.

I spoke to the dealership and let them know that it was burning oil and that I even smelled it. Their response that it is normal for these vehicles to "consume" oil. They refused to acknowledge that it may have a problem.

Has anybody else noticed their newer CX-5 "consuming" oil?

Old 06-01-2017, 11:29 PM

What is "low"? Is this the first time you've checked the oil level?
The factory fill is always about half quart down on these engines. If you've burned a little during break-in, you could conceivably be at the "add" line. Don't rush to judgement. Top up the oil and keep track of it for the first 10k miles or so. My guess is there's nothing going on here. SkyActiv engines often burn a little oil in the beginning. Mine did and doesn't burn a drop now.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

How many times have you checked your oil?

This is the correct way to check the engine oil in a skyactiv engine.

The engine needs to be hot, following a good drive.
Park it on a flat surface. Turn off engine.
Leave it for 5 minutes.
Clean dipstick, insert dipstick, pull it out & check oil level.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:11 AM
Default Checking oil

I check the oil every other month. So, I have checked it about three times since I purchased the vehicle. I have noticed the oil level decreasing each time. I check it on a flat surface, but not always when the engine is hot.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:20 AM

So WHERE EXACTLY is the oil level currently on the stick? The distance between the high and low marks is approx. 7/8". Mine fills to approx. 1/4" below the high mark and hasn't moved in 1500 miles or so since its last service. Yours probably started out at about the same point on the stick. And on the subject of how to "stick the sump", I'm going to take issue with Mazda on their recommendation to check it after the engine reaches operating temp. Everyone knows (intuitively) that the best way to get consistent readings over time is to check it dead cold on a flat surface. If you suspect that capillary action may have drawn the oil up the stick overnight, stick it a second time. Though I've never found there to be any difference in doing so.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:01 PM
Default Low oil level

The last time I checked it, it was at the lower marker. Initially it was just below the upper marker.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:52 PM

Right, so you've burned less than a quart in 4k miles. This is not extraordinary oil usage. Remember, you're still in the break-in phase. Add a half quart and change the oil at 5k miles (preferably using Mazda moly oil) and track usage for the next 5k miles. Remember, the engine is under warranty for 60k miles, so you've got plenty of time if something is amiss.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:39 PM

I check the oil weekly in mine and had to top off every 5k with about 1/3 qt while changing every 6k miles. Might be the nature of the break-in or newer engines with looser rings that achieve better mileage.

I am at 20k now and did not need to add anything first 1k after last change. If I change around 5k then I probably will never need to add. It might be the oil breaking down too. I do lots of highway.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:02 AM

I have a 2014 CX-5 with 2.5L Gas Skyactive. I purchased my car used with 28,000 miles on it. I am using Penzoil Platinum 0W20 full synthetic and going 10,000 miles between changes with mostly highway driving. It is currently at 55,000 miles, and I do have to add about 1/3 qt. of oil between changes. I have had the oil tested by Blackstone labs, and they say that it is normal for direct injection engines to use a little oil between changes. They also said it looked excellent at 10,000 miles and that I could go further if I was inclined, but I think I will stick with 10,000 for the changes. Also, I do not check my level hot. Maybe it's the oil that I am using, but it is impossible to discern a clear line on the dipstick when the engine is warmed up. I just check mine cold and allow that it will read a little lower. If it reads at the lower mark I add a little oil. Obviously my engine is well broken in now, so I think you can expect this to continue throughout the life of the vehicle.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:08 AM

Also, with the exception of a 2011 Chevy Cruze, every vehicle I've ever owned was at "full" oil level at the top mark and 1 qt. low on the bottom mark. Apparently with these cars, the half way point between the marks is the proper "full" level. I don't know why car makers have strayed from decades of protocol on reading a dipstick. I also not happy that they don't put cross hatch marks on the sticks anymore. I have been tempted to put some on mine, but life is full so I have never found the time to do this.

Quick Reply: 2016 CX-5 Burning oil