Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2016.5 Rear Brake Pad EPB Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 01:26 PM
Default 2016.5 Rear Brake Pad EPB Nightmare

I admit that I'm a little in over my head. I simply wanted to change the pads on my 2016.5 and did not know about Maintenance Mode for the EPB. I got the rear caliper off and brake pads changed and then realized the piston wasn't going to depress. So I looked it up and learned about Maintenance Mode. With the caliper off, I put it into maintenance mode, but the piston came out further. Then I started messing with it, and unscrewed the entire piston, brake fluid everywhere, and a tiny snap ring came out.

So....how screwed am I? I don't know where the snap ring goes. I can thread the inner part of the piston back in, but can't get the cover back on. Even if I could, there's no fluid in there and it would still be extended all the way out. Please help!

Old 10-02-2022, 01:49 PM

not to be negative but rebuilt rear caliper units are actually inexpensive, you may want to just ge at least one At this point you are, and I say this kindly over your head to likely resolve this without more added problems.

Old 10-02-2022, 01:50 PM

Welcome to the forum

Old 10-02-2022, 01:54 PM

I'm definitely not opposed to replacing it out right. But all the local parts stores carry rear calipers. Most likely due to the fact that the EPB is a major component. I simply would like to put everything back together if possible, but don't know where to start.

Old 10-02-2022, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by frypod
I'm definitely not opposed to replacing it out right. But all the local parts stores carry rear calipers. Most likely due to the fact that the EPB is a major component. I simply would like to put everything back together, if possible, but don't know where to start.
If one of my shop techs "F" up a customer EPB caliper, we replace it free. It not worth the time to fix it let alone disassemble it and reassemble it with so many BAD things that can and will likely happen doing that kind of service. You are also not likely to find a service shop that will be willing to reassemble what you just took apart either for the same liability concerns. You may somehow get it back to together and get it all button up and ready to go and then NO EPB or rear brakes at all.
Thereare auto parts in Texas that have access to part distribution warehouse close that should be able to order a same day or next day delivery. You can also find places like Rock auto that you pay extra for overnight.

Old 10-02-2022, 04:53 PM

Unfortunately, as you said, you didn't check to see how to correctly change the pads.
Had you done so you would've seen if not done correctly, you'll get exactly what happened to you.
You also stated, "I'm a little over my head", a wise person will heed what they admit.
You seem like a person wise enough to learn from their mistakes and continuing in this vein would likely have you in the deep end of the brake fluid pool.
Yes, you can replace all the parts but that may not solve the problem and you also admitted you aren't sure how to do it.
As Callisto said, at this point it would likely be cheaper to get a complete rebuilt caliper.
If it were me, I'd cut my losses and take the vehicle to a qualified shop.
Yes, it's expensive but they have to "pay" for any mistakes they make not you.
The new electronics in cars have definitely impacted us average DIY folks.
It sucks, but it is what it is, and I wish you good luck in whichever route you decide to take.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Unfortunately, as you said, you didn't check to see how to correctly change the pads.

The new electronics in cars have definitely impacted us average Auto TECNICIAN /DIY folks.
Sadly most DIY, and even many mechanic's don't and that unfortunate and also the main reason why things do not go as planned with repairs and solving problems.

I don't work on Tesla's or any Hybrid vehicles. And even though I have a LC2 ASE certification specifically for diesels, I don't work on them either.
A Techie has to draw the line somewhere. ROLMAO

Old 10-04-2022, 06:07 PM

Maybe there's something on this thread that will help you, there's a few threads on the subject there. You're in good company.

https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/cant-g...cx5.123866032/

Old 10-05-2022, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by madar
Maybe there's something on this thread that will help you, there's a few threads on the subject there. You're in good company.
There is nothing new or any helpful additional information on that forum that has not been mentioned here.
And no one that is to say not one member on that forum dismantled their rear caliper on any of the threads like the member here accidently doing so.
But there is a lot of "SCARY" advice about how to service brakes ... LOL

Last edited by Callisto; 10-05-2022 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by madar
I sent him to where I thought he might get some help, after all, that's what forums are for, not for laughing at people who disagree with you. And no personal attacks on you, just the truth. you can't hide under any name. The moderators there can't be fooled. Nuff said.
You previously typed this comment on this forum.
"I've owned 3 Toyotas in the past, am on my second Mazda CX5, I consider Mazda to be a poor man's Toyota, will probably go back to a Toyota next time."
Could you please clarify/explain as why a Mazda owner on this forum would want to listen to any of your advice about Mazda.
Thank you

Quick Reply: 2016.5 Rear Brake Pad EPB Nightmare