Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire pressure warning

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 04:02 PM
Default Tire pressure warning

Quick question. Is my 2021 CX-5 supposed to have a tire pressure warning indicator? If so, how low do my tires have to be for it to warn me? The manual says there is one but even with the tires 6# low due to temp change, there was no warning. Fortunately, I check my pressure when the temperature changes drastically. I'm wondering if my indicator doesn't work or doesn't exist. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2023, 04:38 PM

The car does have the indicator for the tires. It only comes on if the pressure is too low. If you drive a few miles they will kick on automatically.

Old 11-01-2023, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
The car does have the indicator for the tires. It only comes on if the pressure is too low. If you drive a few miles they will kick on automatically.
Then mine isn't working. They were way too low and the light never came on.

Old 11-01-2023, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Then mine isn't working. They were way too low and the light never came on.
Most TPMS are set for the light to come on when a tire gets 25% below the recommended cold pressure.
I'm not certain if they adjust for settings that have different pressure ratings other than original OEM.
The TPMS is mainly a safety feature for drivers who don't bother to check their tire pressure.
I check mine weekly during the warm months, a bit less in the winter and before any long trip I make.
It's easy enough to do, even with my bad back.
But then I prefer not to rely on lights and electronics that don't always work, meaning I check my fluids as well.

Old 11-01-2023, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Most TPMS are set for the light to come on when a tire gets 25% below the recommended cold pressure.
I'm not certain if they adjust for settings that have different pressure ratings other than original OEM.
The TPMS is mainly a safety feature for drivers who don't bother to check their tire pressure.
I check mine weekly during the warm months, a bit less in the winter and before any long trip I make.
It's easy enough to do, even with my bad back.
But then I prefer not to rely on lights and electronics that don't always work, meaning I check my fluids as well.
If I'm on a trip, I need to know if there's a slow or not so slow leak. I don't check my pressure at every stop. 25% is a LOT. The last car I had was 10% max.

Old 11-02-2023, 10:05 AM

That seems unreasonable - 10% is just 3 psi for typical tires, which means that most owners will be annoyed by the monitor going off too frequently. 25% is about 26 psi, low but enough to prevent a flat tire (most consider <20psi a flat). I don’t know what Mazda’s warning limit actually is.

Old 11-02-2023, 11:01 AM

General information:
Did anyone remember to *re-set the tire monitor.
This must be done whenever the tire pressure is manually adjusted. Most owners fail to do this.
The TPMS alerts at about 10-15lbs below the *pre-set psi or if there is a sudden loss of tire pressure (none run flats). Runs flats seem to have a delay in reporting on Mazda's.
Hard Braking has an effect on the TPMS warning that may activate if the tire pressure is less then 10lbs of pre-set.

Last edited by Callisto; 11-02-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-06-2023, 12:50 PM

Mine came on at 28 PSI. This is in line with observation of many other makes & models that specify 35 PSI in the tires; usually alerts around 27-28.

Old 11-06-2023, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Turner
Mine came on at 28 PSI. This is in line with observation of many other makes & models that specify 35 PSI in the tires; usually alerts around 27-28.
I agree.
As I stated before, 25% less for the light to come on is about average for most systems.
25% of a 35psi tire is 8.75psi or around 26.25psi.

Old 11-06-2023, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Turner
First I suggest NOT making the mistake of comparing other PLATFORMS. This is often a bad idea and mistake. Automotive System Design Engineers are not shared between some sort of co-op between auto manufactures. LOL
As for your Mazda observations yes that would be common but also would be a factory pre-setting. If you change the psi and reset then it would not be at factory setting.

Many settings are preset from factory and if you all read your owner's manual really need to be set for your driving habits, environments and what your want to be alerted to?

That Oners manual is part of having all the information you need as a new responsible owner and also just to know how to operate your MAZDA.

I run SCCA and track tires at WeathertechRaceway (formaly Laguna Seca and also once called MAZDA Racingway) running my track tires at 12-18psi. I re-set my TPMS during the day of racing. If I forget to re-set the TSMS the light will almost immediately come on. Easy fix. Turn off engine ,turn to ignition position only and re-set the TPMS. At the end of the track day when the street tires are back on I re-set the TPMS again for drive home. I do re-check my tire pressure early in the morning confirming my choice of psi and do yet another reset of the TPMS.

The operative word here is RE-SET

I run depending on the ambientes and road condition and what and where I will be driving between cold 28psi and 38psi for my current choice of street tire.

Last edited by Callisto; 11-06-2023 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure warning