Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2 questions - mud guards and trailer receiver

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 06:51 AM
Default 2 questions - mud guards and trailer receiver

For those who have them - questions. Do these mud guards offer any protection/lessen the chips and dirt thrown back on the car and does the Mazda trailer hitch/receiver extend beyond the rear bumper? That of course is w/o the accessories/step.

I already see some scratches and pings - compliments of the parking lot attendants. Damn I wish the Carbon Edition came with the rear sensors alerting when getting close to another object.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:23 AM

On the mud guards, I have them but have not yet installed them. I should have them on soon. Just haven't found the time yet.

Have had them on several other makes/models of car, and I have found them useful. They themselves vibrate along the edge of the attachment point, unless the design fitment is fairly exact, and that can cause minor abrading over time. But just torque the screws down (and anchor with LocTite "blue"), then I think you'll find they don't move much.

In my experience, so long as they add another 1-2 of coverage, out beyond where a normal rock-laden splash comes along the side, it'll help. Can't say that I know whether these'll be far enough out, but I think so. The handful of other similar-vintage CX-5's I have seen around town (with mud guards) convinced me it should be worth it, based on the sizing I saw and the relatively cleanliness during inclement weather that seemed apparent.

Soon, on the 2016 GT:
> clay bar, polishing, final coat(s) -- within the week.
> mud guards -- DIY install, within the month.
> undercoating -- likely the Line-X product, within the month.

Of course, as nice as the weather's been there are all sorts of other things to get done as well.

As for the backup sensors "chiming" on proximity -- the 2016 GT doesn't seem to have it. I've gotten a bit within the "red line" area on several occasions (slowly creeping, to evaluate it), and I have yet to hear a proximity warning chime. But the camera seems accurate enough, with the guide lines it displays.

One thing I dearly love is the rear cross-traffic alert, though. That one works fine. It's warned me of solo pedestrians in the blind spot, a small moving car, big cars, someone else backing up at the same time, etc. Useful.

Last edited by GAsierra; 05-21-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:12 PM

I don't have mud guards yet. I installed my hitch last week and it fits perfect below and against the rear bumper and the optional bumper trim. It does not extend past the bumper. I have not seen a Mazda OEM hitch so I don't know but I heard they have to cut the bumper to make them fit. Mine is a class 2 hitch from Curt Mfg.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:56 PM

I would like the OEM splash guards myself (they seem to diminutive to be called mudguards ) but the issue for me was they look pretty difficult to install. Lots of cuts in the lower trim. I am used to just having to remove a couple of rivets and replace with screws. I am surprised they aren't standard on the GT and up trims.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:17 PM

I installed the OEM mud guards on my 2021 and did not have to cut anything. Rears were simple. Fronts required popping loose the arch trim which is a little daunting at first, and you need to turn the steering wheel to the lock on the side you are working on. No jacks, no removing tires, about one hour total to do all four and that was mainly due to having to warm things up with a hair dryer since it was February and 40 degrees outside.

Last edited by TB250; 05-21-2021 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:19 PM

Thanks All.

Yeah the mud/splash guards do look small, hence my question - do these offer protection? I would hate to think there's cutting or difficulty involved in such a sim[ple thing.
I would also hate to think that there is bumper surgery needed to attach the OEM receiver. Perhaps those who have had it installed, can chime in..

Old 05-21-2021, 01:36 PM

I have installed both the OEM mud flaps, and a Draw-Tite Class III hitch receiver.

The mud flaps are easier to install than the instructions suggest. For the front, I did not use the metal rivnuts, which would be a pain to install. Instead I used the plastic clips from the rear, which were to be discarded anyways. For the rears there is some cutting involved, but VERY minor, and you can do it with an exacto knife. Overall, the install took maybe 10min per corner. Easy to install, and highly recommended as it cuts down on the dirt being sprayed on the car.

As for the hitch receiver, it does NOT stick out. It is 3.5" inset from the bumper facia.

Old 05-21-2021, 05:08 PM

I have the Draw-Tite hitch, which is terrific. But I did a quick search and found a short description with a good photo. Hope this helps, and I trust that I have not violated any forum restrictions by posting a different thread within this one. You apparently DO have to cut the bumper for the OEM part................... Frank

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...16/#post176584

Old 05-21-2021, 10:42 PM

Did any of you who installed the trailer hitch have any issues with exhaust clearance? I have an issue where one section on both sides had little clearance between the hitch and the exhaust. Everytime I drove over a large bump and man hole I would get this "knocking" sound. I wiggled the exhaust and it would hit the hitch.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:19 PM

I have the factory hitch. Price was good and they installed it for free. IT did bang against the exhaust of my
AWD CX-5 when I hit a bump or a dip. They fiddled with the mounting bracket on that side and it no longer hits the
exhaust.

My 2¢

Quick Reply: 2 questions - mud guards and trailer receiver