Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 CX-5 Hitch Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 05:57 PM
Default 2018 CX-5 Hitch Installation

Hello Forum members,
I am about to install a hitch to our 2018 CX-5 to haul 3 bikes (with a hitch mount bike carrier) and was wondering if anyone had this genuine Mazda hitch installed:

Trailer Hitch (Class I) Part Number: 0000-8E-R06 2018 CX-5

Wondering about part and labor pricing to get this installed.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:25 PM

I had a Draw Tite hitch installed on my vehicle by a company that specializes in installing hitches. The cost for the hitch, wiring, and installation was about ($400 Cdn). The dealerships don't necessarily install a lot of hitches and I have avoided them for this type of work. You might want to read this post from another forum to see what may go wrong with dealer installation https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...=trailer+hitch.

Wade

Old 08-05-2019, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Zig613
I had a Draw Tite hitch installed on my vehicle by a company that specializes in installing hitches. The cost for the hitch, wiring, and installation was about ($400 Cdn). The dealerships don't necessarily install a lot of hitches and I have avoided them for this type of work. You might want to read this post from another forum to see what may go wrong with dealer installation https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...=trailer+hitch.

Wade
Yes, because of this thread I have my reservations about this. Also interestingly, I asked about parts and installation online at two local Mazda dealers and none of them responded, so they must not be super keen in installing these either

Old 08-05-2019, 11:01 PM

I had the factory hitch installed by the dealer I purchased from (Ourisman Mazda in Rockville, MD). Was part of purchase decision; selling price was 25803 on 2019 CX-5 Sport AWD with Activsense package ($625) and dealer installed hitch.
I wanted/needed the factory hitch because 1. it was a lease and 2. though I would have preferred the 2" receiver that I am used to, I didn't want to lose any ground clearance compared to one that bolts underneath the bumper. The factory hitch requires part of the plastic bumper cover to be cut, but the mounting of the hitch is very stout. It is mounted directly to the rear subframe.

Last edited by Chocolate; 08-06-2019 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:38 AM

Here's a pic of the 2" aftermarket hitches. Some people may have a lot of 2" accessories and this could be a better solution for them.

Last edited by Chocolate; 09-24-2022 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:36 PM

Thanks much for all the feedback. The dealer came back today with a quote of about $600 (part+labor) which is reasonable. On the other hand, I will be carrying only bikes, so I decided to go with a Saris Bike Rack instead that seems to be very sturdy and gets good reviews for installation without the need for a hitch on SUV's or hatchbacks.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:25 PM

I bought the Mazda hitch from my dealer when I purchased my CX-5. It looks almost identical to a CURT hitch I had on my previous CX-5 so my guess is that CURT makes a hitch for Mazda, at least here in Canada.

Last edited by kdaug; 05-23-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:05 PM

Hello, I had a Curt hitch installed at U-Haul for $250 (I am located in California) including parts, labor, and tax. It turned out great and is a very simple install. If I recall correctly from my research, the genuine Mazda hitch requires cutting the bumper. The U-Haul near me offered two hitches, both U-Haul branded but I chose the one with the Curt part number. Overall positive experience.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by 93nyr94
Hello, I had a Curt hitch installed at U-Haul for $250 (I am located in California) including parts, labor, and tax. It turned out great and is a very simple install. If I recall correctly from my research, the genuine Mazda hitch requires cutting the bumper. The U-Haul near me offered two hitches, both U-Haul branded but I chose the one with the Curt part number. Overall positive experience.
I had a Mazda hitch installed and it installed exactly like the Curt hitch, coming out underneath the bumper as shown in post #5 above. No cutting required.

Old 01-02-2023, 10:14 AM
Default Nice install

Originally Posted by Chocolate
I had the factory hitch installed by the dealer I purchased from (Ourisman Mazda in Rockville, MD). Was part of purchase decision; selling price was 25803 on 2019 CX-5 Sport AWD with Activsense package ($625) and dealer installed hitch.
I wanted/needed the factory hitch because 1. it was a lease and 2. though I would have preferred the 2" receiver that I am used to, I didn't want to lose any ground clearance compared to one that bolts underneath the bumper. The factory hitch requires part of the plastic bumper cover to be cut, but the mounting of the hitch is very stout. It is mounted directly to the rear
Thanks for replying. Your install actually looks clean and professional. Doesn’t even look like it needs any door trim. Do you have automatic tail gate? Does it work still using your foot after the tow hitch install?

Last edited by Jasrboyd; 01-02-2023 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 CX-5 Hitch Installation