Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5 na engine tear down video!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 01:11 PM
Default Rental car

Originally Posted by Callisto
nice try! But guessing is not going to give you any answer right now from me.
As the tech said ,people treat rental cars like ****. Who knows what really happened, but it sure looks like it overheated some way or another. Hope I never get to see the internals of my CX5 . I wonder what codes were left on the computer ,and if it was possible to retrieve them ?

Old 05-30-2023, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
As the tech said ,people treat rental cars like ****. Who knows what really happened, but it sure looks like it overheated some way or another. Hope I never get to see the internals of my CX5 . I wonder what codes were left on the computer ,and if it was possible to retrieve them ?
He is actually asking about a performance part or how a oem engineered part may works. Not about the engine fiasco in the video.

He is a good egg and enthusiastic about modding his Mazda. IMHO wants to spend his money for parts that really work and not a hyp!

Old 05-30-2023, 01:34 PM

DTC when a catastrophic engine failure happens are actually useless. You would get so many and some would simply be a natural cause from other DTCs so no actual breadcrumb clue to follow.. However the counters of some DTC can give some incite in some events indicating which monitored area was showing faults for a ling period of time.
Another thing is the absents of metal fatigue and bluing. But that is to much for me to type and this engine failure is rare anyway. Maybe if it ever happens to a member and they get their engine torn down like in the video

Old 05-30-2023, 01:46 PM
Default Oh missed that

He is actually asking about a performance part or how a oem engineered part may works. Not about the engine fiasco in the video.

He is a good egg and enthusiastic about modding his Mazda. IMHO wants to spend his money for parts that really work and not a hyp!
I must have not read or understood what was going on with the OP. More interested in the tear down video. I know Im going to get a bunch of flack on this ,but IMHO it would cost more than it is worth to get any significant performance enhancing modifications on the NA CX5 without negatively impacting reliability ,emissions and drivability . Add to that ,you would need to upgrade the suspension ,brakes, and trans. A better way to go if you want much better power /performance would be a CX5 Turbo or even better a Ford Mustang Mach-E. I'm also sure Callisto would vehemently disagree because he drives a modified NA CX5.

Old 05-30-2023, 01:56 PM

I can't find any pictures of the stock header flange. Does the OEM header have twins walls for insulation so the cat will light off faster during startup?

Old 05-30-2023, 02:06 PM
Default California

Originally Posted by HighCompression
I can't find any pictures of the stock header flange. Does the OEM header have twins walls for insulation so the cat will light off faster during startup?
I see you live in California, and you are subject to California emissions requirements . I would advise complying with currant CARB if you intend to register and drive a modified vehicle in California.

Old 05-30-2023, 02:13 PM

I see you live in California, and you are subject to California emissions requirements. I would advise complying with currant CARB if you intend to register and drive a modified vehicle in California.
Ok.. so you have read that up until a couple months ago I was still certified to perform smog emission testing in the State of California? Also you are assuming a lot about my vehicles the requirement to have any vehicle emission tested as well registration requirements of any vehicle in the state of CA? . I am also well aware the requirements to get a C.A.R.B. certification on any part as I have had to do that a couple of times in the past with some of my performance products. Please forgive me but your statement as it was directed to me does not apply. And all my registered for highway use are all legal as long as I keep at least 1 of the 2 CATs on my Mazda. Currently however I have both) The exception may be argumentized with one of my other cars only if I have it activated and that would be my "Flame system". Technically and legally speaking any vehicle with any modified exhaust on a Federal reservation (example a National Park) is breaking a federal law. So I don't travel anywhere with that one car that may have me committing a Felony! LOL

Last edited by Callisto; 05-30-2023 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by HighCompression
CS has a header that they were going to release last year. Not sure about the new release date. They did extensive DYNO testing resulting in an improved exhaust header for making power over the MAZDA super engineered header. LOL. You can read about that header and the testing over the last years through a few sources on the internet if interested. The price tag however may be why they have not released it as it will be close to a grand or more? And it "MAY" require ECU calibration changes via a Versa Tune or something they may offer as a package. My guess as they are a dealer for Versa Tune that it will be something from them but IDK. Thier Turbo kit is not a Versa Tune that I am aware of to date?

Old 05-30-2023, 02:41 PM
Default Nice to know your compliant

Ok.. so you have read that up until a couple months ago I was still certified to perform smog emission testing in the State of California? Also you are assuming a lot about my vehicles the requirement to have any vehicle emission tested as well registration requirements of any vehicle in the state of CA? . I am also well aware the requirements to get a C.A.R.B. certification on any part as I have had to do that a couple of times in the past with some of my performance products. Please forgive me but your statement as it was directed to me does not apply. And all my registered for highway use are all legal as long as I keep at least 1 of the 2 CATs on my Mazda. Currently however I have both) The exception may be argumentized with one of my other cars only if I have it activated and that would be my "Flame system". Technically and legally speaking any vehicle with any modified exhaust on a Federal reservation (example a National Park) is breaking a federal law. So I don't travel anywhere with that one car that may have me committing a Felony! LOL
You have this on you profile , so some might get the wrong impression . All MAZDA's are not created equal. Factory claimed 186hp crank , currently @245whp NA
Just trying to save him from not being able to register or drive a modified vehicle in California. For over 25 years I was a certified ADEQ vehicle Emissions fleet tech at my used car lot ,and have had to make all our vehicles ADEQ compliant . While few of us are willing to admit to driving illegally modified vehicles on public roads ,we have all done it at one time or another. In states that have emissions inspections like California and Arizona ,it is something to consider before you modify/tamper .

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 05-30-2023 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:54 PM

You have this on you profile , so some might get the wrong impression . All MAZDA's are not created equal. Factory claimed 186hp crank , currently @245whp NA
Just trying to save him from not being able to register or drive a modified vehicle in California. For over 25 years I was a certified ADEQ vehicle Emissions fleet tech at my used car lot ,and have had to make all our vehicles ADEQ compliant . While few of us are willing to admit to driving illegally modified vehicles on public roads ,we have all done it at one time or another. In states that have emissions inspections like California and Arizona ,it is something to consider before you modify/tamper .
It is SIGNATYUR not profile btw! And Yes I do and that is was one of my DYNO results I decided would be best accepted Dyno test run. I should point out that ALL my Dyno Testing the baseline program is set to adjust the main perimeters' and adjusting for current operating condition, so the Dyno results are what we call repeatable and consistent for accurate results no matter where in the world I choose to do a Dyno test run. We call that "setting the DELTAS".
California emission pertaining to specifically to my MAZDA? And you are presuming that all engine upgrades would not meet the requirements set be the air resources board? The visual if I was required to test would not pass because of the air filter. But then I would simply reinstall the OEM as the current so called CAI does NOTHING to even bump the Dyno numbers but it does cause me having higher on average in the town or low speed driving higher IATs then with the OEM air box. CA does require a completely enclosed air intake system. Seems weird even if there are no hydrocarbons that I ever tested showing from most so-called CAI's on various platforms over the years? The catch can technically even though it does not create or reduce emission is a visual negative and a strike in CA. That said the other engine upgrades are not seen nor could they proven to be in the engine in any way without a dismantling and inspection. And then likely NOT. LOL A engine teardown for emission violation inspection....Never ever happened in CA that I am aware of. For my MAZDA long as the emissions are withing specified for my year and such I would not have any problem if I were needed to test in CA for the Mazda. Oh and naturally I would reinstall the OEM ECU program that predates any modification and the ECU counters would only reflect those prior my mapping program. That is what a qualified, educated and trained ECU/EFI Performance Calibrator like myself can do to most any ECU with full access programing capabilities. Which I have for the MAZDA via Versa Tune. !!!!

Last edited by Callisto; 05-30-2023 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 2.5 na engine tear down video!