Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'18 CX5 Lag-Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 08:37 AM

Yes my NA FWD '18 CX5 is very frustrating on the acceleration side from a stop. It does not adapt to your driving style, that's BS.
Recently I test drove a '22 CX5 Turbo and also was not satisfied by its performance, not a big advantage over the NA engine.
The CX5 has amazing handling but needs much better powertrain improvements that could match its sport handling ability.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:30 AM
Default My 2019 CX5 Lag-Acceleration

Interesting to see this thread is still ticking. Not sure if anyone has a concrete answer as to why some of our CX5's lag-acceleration from a stop. The most believable has something to do with the Skyactiv. Please post if anyone gets an adjustment of some kind that solves the problem. The mechanics at the dealer think my CX5 runs and accelerates fine?

Old 04-15-2022, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by wilson62
Interesting to see this thread is still ticking. Not sure if anyone has a concrete answer as to why some of our CX5's lag-acceleration from a stop. The most believable has something to do with the Skyactiv. Please post if anyone gets an adjustment of some kind that solves the problem. The mechanics at the dealer think my CX5 runs and accelerates fine?
It is possible that you have created some small adaptive from the ECU by your driving style? You can try accessing the OBDII diagnostic connector and clear/ Reset the DTC area and then go to the Monitors and reset them. Try for the next few days driving a little more active(agressive but not racing /Hot Rodding) and this should make a noticeable difference in the off line acceleration performance. REMBER when re-setting the Monitors it will take a few days for them to go to ready status, so if you have a required emission test don't do it until after the test. LOL

Old 04-15-2022, 12:58 PM

Callisto, thank you very much for your suggestion. I will give it a whirl and post results.

Old 04-16-2022, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
It is possible that you have created some small adaptive from the ECU by your driving style? You can try accessing the OBDII diagnostic connector and clear/ Reset the DTC area and then go to the Monitors and reset them. Try for the next few days driving a little more active(agressive but not racing /Hot Rodding) and this should make a noticeable difference in the off line acceleration performance. REMBER when re-setting the Monitors it will take a few days for them to go to ready status, so if you have a required emission test don't do it until after the test. LOL
How do you reset it?

Old 04-16-2022, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Macanhunter
How do you reset it?
The screen on the scan tool will ask if you want to re-set!

Here I went and just took these pictures. I am not re-setting my MAZDA but you get the idea. You can see both area's I mentioned to clear and re-set.

Last edited by Callisto; 04-16-2022 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2023, 06:24 AM
Default 2022 Lag

We have a 2022 CX5, many tranny issues including the lag..currently waiting for a new transmission under warranty..