Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   '18 CX5 Lag-Acceleration (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/18-cx5-lag-acceleration-40516/)

Mackadoo 09-01-2018 11:09 AM

'18 CX5 Lag-Acceleration

I had a 2016 Mazda 6 Touring that accelerated as soon as I touched the pedal. One month ago, I leased a new CX-5 and was surprised to experience a short lag before the power kicked in. I did not say anything to my wife about my observation and she questioned the same short hesitation. It occurs from a full stop and it occurs when I slow down and then press the accelerator to resume speed. I took it to the dealership yesterday and was told that the CX-5 has a computer that monitors a person's driving style and adjusts the vehicle to match that style. With so many new technology changes, I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this problem. I think the service agent fed me a bunch of "hooey" and would like to know if any of you have had this experience. It seems like a linkage adjustment could restore the responsive acceleration.

wilson62 07-07-2021 08:29 PM

Acceleration Lag on 2019 CX-5

My 2019 CX-5 does the same thing, lags in acceleration. So frustrating. Did you ever find out what is going on, other than the computer adjusting to the driver?

I realize this is an old forum. So not sure if you see this, but worth a try.

Originally Posted by Mackadoo (Post 169723)
I had a 2016 Mazda 6 Touring that accelerated as soon as I touched the pedal. One month ago, I leased a new CX-5 and was surprised to experience a short lag before the power kicked in. I did not say anything to my wife about my observation and she questioned the same short hesitation. It occurs from a full stop and it occurs when I slow down and then press the accelerator to resume speed. I took it to the dealership yesterday and was told that the CX-5 has a computer that monitors a person's driving style and adjusts the vehicle to match that style. With so many new technology changes, I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this problem. I think the service agent fed me a bunch of "hooey" and would like to know if any of you have had this experience. It seems like a linkage adjustment could restore the responsive acceleration.

CarpeDiem 07-07-2021 10:03 PM

The OP hasn’t been back to the forum in three years. He won’t see your question.

wilson62 07-07-2021 10:20 PM

Thanks! Have you had any acceleration issues with your Mazda? It is weird, if it adjust to my driving then, yes, I do drive like a 90 year old lady sometimes, but other times I will kick it in the a&&. Several times I have been in a situation, mostly from a stop, when I want to accelerate across lanes or pull out fast due to heavy traffic to make a turn and my CX-5 will rev but no acceleration. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to get my heart racing.

RooksCX5 07-07-2021 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by wilson62 (Post 196352)
Thanks! Have you had any acceleration issues with your Mazda?

This might be a long shot but you COULD potentially have a cracked cylinder head. This is a known issue with some 18/19 models. I took mine in to get it fixed and they gave me a 2014 loaner, as soon as i started driving it i noticed how much quicker it was to accelerate. This thing has 180,000+ miles on it to.

Shilo 08-29-2021 02:33 AM

I have the same issue with the 2018 CX-5 GT I purchased in May, 2021. There is this annoying hesitation from a stop. I took it to my mechanic for regular service and asked him about it; another mechanic in his shop said that with the Skyactiv, the transmission starts out in 2nd gear to save gas. Seems feasible; I had a Miata and often started it out in 2nd gear because I didn't need 1st gear on flat terrain. But is anyone else having the same hesitation issue? I recently drove a 2011 Scion xB and the difference between its immediate acceleration without the Mazda's hesitation made me realize how annoying it is.

mazda_nc_dude 08-29-2021 03:04 PM

The non-turbo version of the CX-5 always requires more flooring of the gas pedal for a fast shift when compared to the turbo version. Took me a while to get adjusted to this since our other car has a turbo engine.

CarpeDiem 08-29-2021 04:26 PM

I took it to my mechanic for regular service and asked him about it; another mechanic in his shop said that with the Skyactiv, the transmission starts out in 2nd gear to save gas…

I can’t speak for every CX-5, but when in Auto mode mine starts out from a stop in 1st gear. No annoying hesitation either. You can’t always trust what “mechanics” - even dealer mechanics - tell you. There are several reasons for a “soft pedal” - for example with the turbo engine there is some turbo lag (regardless of what Mazda marketing says). Too, throttle programming will always open the TB more slowly no matter how you press the pedal - this is programmed into the ECM and can’t be changed without a tune (piggy-back throttle programmers don’t change this). Since Mazda uses a mechanical clutch at low speeds, the transmission may have trouble deciding on which clutch to use depending on throttle input, causing a slight delay. A change in the factory throttle programming year-to-year is the most likely culprit IMO.

Shilo 08-29-2021 05:35 PM

Thanks, Mazda_NC_Dude and Carpe Diem

Mine is a non-turbo FWD. I don't notice any issues with shifting other than the moment's hesitation pulling out from a stop (e.g., stop sign). It feels kind of like a train car that's tied to the locomotive with a short length of chain...just unsettling to have that brief hesitation before the car starts to move.

mazda_nc_dude 08-29-2021 08:26 PM

I see, mine does not do that from a stop. I have a 2018 non-turbo AWD.