Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16 Cx-5 Grand Touring back-up warning beep

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 04:53 PM
Question 16 Cx-5 Grand Touring back-up warning beep

Hello, I didn’t see this specific question asked recently here, so.... question is I purchased the vehicle used in Oct 17. Since the beginning I’ve noticed that when backing up and getting close to a stationary object, say a garage, there is no warning beep, as in most modern cars. (I’m not referring to the rear cross traffic alert.) Is this normal for this vehicle? Thanks

Old 08-18-2018, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Totally depends on whether it has reverse sensors installed or not. Have a look for 4 small circles/buttons across the rear bumper, this will show if there are sensors or not.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:01 PM

Backup sensors are not standard on CX5's, but can be installed after the fact. With the backup camera, I find them to be redundant.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting, in my Market, reverse camera has been standard on all CX-5s since their release in 2012, & all KF CX-5s come standard with reverse sensors.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:53 AM

Every market has different requirements. Many had backup cameras in the MX5 since the new body style was introduced in 2016. We didn't get them until the 2019 cars came out. I had to import one from Japan for my car.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:31 PM

My 2016.5 Touring has backup proximity warning as well as blind spot monitoring. Works great. I love that it will warn me of an on coming car when I'm blind backing out of a parking space. The back up camera doesn't help you see objects moving towards you from the side, at least not as far as the sensors do. I'm in the US by the way and I do not have the tech package. Every car might be different, but considering you have a 2016 GT, I'm surprised you don't have the same warning system. Mine will alert me to cross traffic as well as stationary objects that get too close. I just figured both situations were handled by the same sensors.

Last edited by SimpleCJ; 09-08-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by SimpleCJ
My 2016.5 Touring has backup proximity warning as well as blind spot monitoring. Works great. I love that it will warn me of an on coming car when I'm blind backing out of a parking space. The back up camera doesn't help you see objects moving towards you from the side, at least not as far as the sensors do. I'm in the US by the way and I do not have the tech package. Every car might be different, but considering you have a 2016 GT, I'm surprised you don't have the same warning system. Mine will alert me to cross traffic as well as stationary objects that get too close. I just figured both situations were handled by the same sensors.
Your car has "Rear Cross-Traffic Alert", which is completely different than backup sensors. He is asking about "backup sensors", which "beep" when you get close to a wall or other obstacle. The backup camera has a red line on the display that shows you the one foot distance from your rear bumper. If you use that, the backup sensors are redundant.

Last edited by Dave in Edmonds; 09-08-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:01 PM

You're right, I just tried it out backing up to a fence post and no alarm was sounded. I swear it's gone off when I've been close to other parked cars, but maybe it was something else. I do used the back up camera as well and really never would let anything cross the red line anyways. I guess it is redundant. You should always be paying full attention when backing up. This is my first car with a camera and I love it!