Mazda CX-30 The place to discuss the newest compact SUV addition to Mazda's lineup.

CX-30 has Cylinder De-activation!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 10:37 AM
Default CX-30 has Cylinder De-activation!

Are you guys aware that the CX-30 has CD? When I had my 2017 CX-5, it had CD but I did not know about it until Mazda sent recall notices to owners of Mazda cats with 2.5 Skyactiv engines with CD, including the engine in my 2017 CX-5 GT. CD was NOT listed on the engine specs of that CX-5 sticker. Mazda was secretive about it at that time, I guess.

I don’t like CD so this is a deal breaker for me. I’m not going to replace my CX-5 turbo with a CX-30 with CD, unless I can disable Cylinder De-activation.

correction: CD was in my second CX-5 GT —> 2019 CX-5 GT I bought in Feb, 2019 <— not the 2017 CX-5 as mentioned above.

Last edited by firefox111; 06-28-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:24 PM

From the Mazda website, it looks like only the CX-30 with the Premium Package has the Cylinder Deactivation (CD), so you could go with the lower packages of course losing some features on the way.

Regarding the CX-5, as far as I know, CD was introduced with the 2018 model year. Ours has it and we had the recall performed. I did not notice any performance hit or any changes in MPG numbers after the fix and I assume Mazda has sorted out any potential issues.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:31 PM

FWIW, you might also want to wait if Mazda rolls out the CX-30 with a turbo engine. That would be a sweet ride.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
FWIW, you might also want to wait if Mazda rolls out the CX-30 with a turbo engine. That would be a sweet ride.
Yeah, I think that’s what I’m going to do. I went to the Mazda website and went through the motion of doing a Build on the premium because features are close to my current CX-5 GTR. That’s where I noticed the CD.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by firefox111
Yeah, I think that’s what I’m going to do. I went to the Mazda website and went through the motion of doing a Build on the premium because features are close to my current CX-5 GTR. That’s where I noticed the CD.
Any particular reason you do not want the CD? After the recall/fix has been performed on our CX-5, I did not notice any change in our vehicle driving/performance and as far as I know, CD also helps with getting better MPG.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:14 PM

Any particular reason you do not want the CD? After the recall/fix has been performed on our CX-5, I did not notice any change in our vehicle driving/performance and as far as I know, CD also helps with getting better MPG.
well, I regularly commute from Western IN through IL, MO, OK, TX, NM, to AZ. With the 2019 CX-5, I average 28 mpg during this stretch with 5 mph over the limit. I care for power and torque over minute fuel savings with CD. On a straight away going into a long incline, the 2019 CX-5 loses power. I have to force it to shift down to gain speed to avoid being mowed down by the semi behind. One Mazda tech said that on a straight away, CD is in effect and when going into an incline, the system re-activates all the cylinders and it’s too late for the vehicle to have full power to negotiate the incline. I hate CD.

With my 2019 CX-5 GT turbo, it maintains the set cruising speed on uphills in MO, NM, AZ, and lately CO. I love my GTR. My 2019 GTR averages 27 mpg on my commute from IN to AZ..

I was hoping that with the lighter CX-30, the naturally aspirated 2.5 Skyactiv engine will be able to match the climbing power of the CX-5 GTR. But when I read that the top of the line CX-30 has CD, I thought I’d hang on to my GTR and wait for turbo version of the CX-30. Maybe a 2.0 turbo.

Last edited by firefox111; 06-30-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by firefox111
well, I regularly commute from Western IN through IL, MO, OK, TX, NM, to AZ. With the 2019 CX-5, I average 28 mpg during this stretch with 5 mph over the limit. I care for power and torque over minute fuel savings with CD. On a straight away going into a long incline, the 2019 CX-5 loses power. I have to force it to shift down to gain speed to avoid being mowed down by the semi behind. One Mazda tech said that on a straight away, CD is in effect and when going into an incline, the system re-activates all the cylinders and it’s too late for the vehicle to have full power to negotiate the incline. I hate CD.

With my 2019 CX-5 GT turbo, it maintains the set cruising speed on uphills in MO, NM, AZ, and lately CO. I love my GTR. My 2019 GTR averages 27 mpg on my commute from IN to AZ..

I was hoping that with the lighter CX-30, the naturally aspirated 2.5 Skyactiv engine will be able to match the climbing power of the CX-5 GTR. But when I read that the top of the line CX-30 has CD, I thought I’d hang on to my GTR and wait for turbo version of the CX-30. Maybe a 2.0 turbo.
I see, it looks like in your driving conditions the CD is a disadvantage. In our case, we do about 50% city and 50% highway driving and in our home area which has not many hills, we have not noticed any issues with the CD. I am comparing against our previous SUV which was a VW Tiguan with a 2.0 turbo engine. The CX-5 is very comparable and in some aspects superior to the Tiguan and gets much better city MPG, one of the main reasons we switched to the CX-5.

I agree, hanging on to the GTR is a good idea and a CX-30 with a 2.0 turbo would be indeed a perfect match. Let's see what Mazda's strategy will be.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:06 PM

Is there any way at all to deactivate CD? Could a mechanic do it?

Old 09-17-2020, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by jerrydeanbunn
Is there any way at all to deactivate CD? Could a mechanic do it?
I think there is no option to deactivate it. May I ask, what is your reason?

Old 09-17-2020, 09:24 AM

I think there is no option to deactivate it. May I ask, what is your reason?
I can feel when it kicks in as I'm driving down the highway. It feels like the transmission is shifting. And then I get a slight vibration throughout the vehicle. I'm not thrilled with it and can't imagine that I'm saving that much in fuel.

Quick Reply: CX-30 has Cylinder De-activation!