Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50
View Poll Results: What do you think is the case?
The door barrel is faulty
0%
I've put the door barrel in incorrectly
100.00%
Something further has to be done to the lock to make it function
0%
Take it to a locksmith for advice
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

New passenger lock not working correctly

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 07:38 PM
Default New passenger lock not working correctly

I have just recently bought a replacement passenger door lock for my 1998 b2500.

The problem I am having is when the lock is placed in correctly with retaining clip inserted and the rod clipped in, the lock does not move the rod when the key is turned. The lock barrel spins but the arm on back that moves the rod does not.

If anybody knows if there is a certain way to get the lock to work correctly that I havent worked out it would be much appreciated.

This image shows the orientation that i have put the lock in which is the same as the one that was removed

Cheers hayden

Old 10-17-2020, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

Does the key turn both clockwise and anticlockwise? Try it with & without the rod connected.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:14 AM

I know your 1998 Mazda B2500 is actually a Ford Ranger, but photo doesn't look so much different than on my '88 B2200. I purchased a pair of door lock cylinders for mine, and installation was straightforward. That piece that bolts onto the cylinder should have a cutout to overly the end of the cylinder, so that when the cylinder turns, that piece and the the rod moves.

Old 10-18-2020, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Does the key turn both clockwise and anticlockwise? Try it with & without the rod connected.
The lock does turn both ways without the rod connected, but as soon as there is resistance on the arm on the back of the barrel (when the rod is clipped in) the key can turn but the arm does not move.

Old 10-18-2020, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Cusser
I know your 1998 Mazda B2500 is actually a Ford Ranger, but photo doesn't look so much different than on my '88 B2200. I purchased a pair of door lock cylinders for mine, and installation was straightforward. That piece that bolts onto the cylinder should have a cutout to overly the end of the cylinder, so that when the cylinder turns, that piece and the the rod moves.
Could you please clarify what you mean by "cut out to overly the end" it's too dark and wet to take another picture right now so I've drawn a picture of why the arm does not turn.

the coloured part rotates when the key is turned but since the slot/catch on the little arm is larger than the rotating piece. by the time the rotating piece gets to the edge to rotate the arm the key has ran out of turning room. Hence the key turning fine but the arm not moving.

it's almost as if the arm has to have a smaller slot so there is no play in the rotation. But the lock I am replacing seems to work the same (I'm unable to see if this one works as it has had a screw driver rammed in it and does not rotate) but I have put the new lock in the same orientation as the old one was and the old one did work before a screw driver was rammed in. Hopefully more detail has helped

Starting to think that it's possible I've been given a lock with the incorrect arm attached or there is a missing piece.

Last edited by haydenlockhart; 10-18-2020 at 04:01 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:48 AM

"overlay" - I cannot type - so when the the cylinder turns, the piece attached to it must turn.

When the plastic clip is disconnected, can you move that rod properly by hand?

Old 10-18-2020, 12:51 PM

"overlay" - I cannot type - so when the the cylinder turns, the piece attached to it must turn.

When the plastic clip is disconnected, can you move that rod properly by hand?
so the cylinder turns but the little arm does not. Yeah when the rod is disconnected it can unlock and lock really easily just by pulling rod up and down.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by haydenlockhart
so the cylinder turns but the little arm does not.
Figure that part out.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:11 PM

Figure that part out.
Okay, thank you for your help