Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Leveling my B2200 front end

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 03:32 PM
Default Leveling my B2200 front end

A while ago I had noticed that the passenger side of my '88 B2200 Cab Plus had been higher on its passenger side - and that was without my 180 pounds in the driver seat. And all four have 15" 4WD B2600i wheels and 235/75-15 tires of same age.

So I did a little research, and figured that I could readily adjust this with the B2200 on the ground. I first measured both fender to garage floor heights (at the middle of the wheel): left (driver) was a hair under 30", and right was almost 31". So I went underneath the passenger side with my 17mm half-inch drive stuff, marked the bolt head, and made note of how much I loosened that bolt to lower the right side. I basically loosened the bolt one full turn at a time, then bounced the right front a few times, and then measured. Repeat as necessary.... Basically it took 3 full turns of loosening the bolt to lower that right side to match the left side, so now both sides are a hair under 30 inches. Job finished, should have attempted this instead of putting off....

Old 03-22-2021, 08:35 PM

This begs the question on how your passenger side was higher than your driver side by 1 inch in the first place.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Lizard King
This begs the question on how your passenger side was higher than your driver side by 1 inch in the first place.
I have no idea. Has not been in an accident. Did have a driver side ball joint replaced at a shop 20 years ago, and I replaced the two on the passenger side, no other front end work.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by The Lizard King
Additional thought:
I had noticed this a few years ago. Back then, I did try to adjust, was too conservative and I wasn't sure of which way to turn to raise a side, or lower a side. So I think I got confused, I admit it, and I'm not going to blame Mrs. Cusser for distracting me. So likely I made it worse back then, and with the larger wheels given to me, this just became more apparent, with too much clearance between tire and fender on RF side.

This time I had information from the Internet. One YouTube showed how to remove and index torsion bars, but failed to show which way to turn to adjust. But two sources I saw AGREED to tighten the bolt to raise, and to loosen the bolt to lower a side.

One needs to be a little wary and NOT believe EVERYTHING on the Internet; I'm from the old VW world and see folks confuse the front and the rear of the engine every day. Flywheel is at the front of those engines, people !!!