Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

GM TBI Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 05:30 PM
Default GM TBI Conversion

I know the Kia/FE3 is a popular swap, as are some of the junkyard Mazda EFI conversions. I’ve done quite a few smallblock TBI conversions over the years and I’m pondering the possibility of using the GM TBI setup off a 4 cyl GM, like an S10, or Cavalier, and adapting it to a 2.2l Mazda. Not looking to make huge power; I’m just not a fan of carburetors in general, and particularly the somewhat fickle feedback carbs. Plus, I'm familiar with and love the simplistic reliability of GM’s early EFI.

Obviously there would be some tuning/chip burning involved, but I think a single barrel TB off one of the aforementioned vehicles would be fairly straightforward to adapt to the Mazda intake manifold. The stock Mazda distributor and vacuum advance would be retained, but an MSD 6A could be used to supply signal to the ECM to pulse the injector. O2 sensor would be no issue. The coolant temp sensor might be sorta tricky. The GM unit is 3/8” NPT, whereas the Mazda uses M12x1.5 thread size. You could run a Mazda CTS if it operates under the same general parameters as the GM unit.

I guess I’m more or less looking to see if anyone has heard of or attempted a swap like this before? I saw someone on Mazdatrucking.com that is attempting to adapt a Mopar TBI system over, but for some reason, I’m unable to register on that site, so I cannot ask questions there.