Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

New Engine is in!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 04:48 AM
Default New Engine is in!

well i haven't had my car in 4 months now, and just did a 400 mile drive up north to pick it up. just got it home a few hours ago and it feels great to have it in the garage again. looking to dyno between 300-350hp in May at Mazdafest, wish me luck!

Old 05-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Default RE: New Engine is in!

nice!

Old 05-02-2006, 05:57 PM

so what all did you do to it? engine swap?

Old 05-02-2006, 07:21 PM

here's just a cut and paiste from Mazda6Club, i'm working on the car now and too lazy to write it all over.

..i replaced the top end with Supertech valves, guides, springs and retainers, but stuck with stock sizing for now as budget was "limited". bottom end is from a ford focus, using 9:1 Supertech pistons/rings and crower rods, balance shaft removed, baffles/windage trays added to oil pan, upgraded oil pump and pickup, ARP studs for everything....think that's it!?

the guy that build it, Andrew Gillis of Gillis Motorsports, works a lot with Ricardo from F2Cars.com (F2Focus for those around for a while) that did my header a while back. he uses this setup (dif. compression) on his race car, and a similar setup on the Focus they are building for next years Speed World Challenge. on his car, which i've seen at the track, he said that he's done some 15k drops with no engine issues at all, he's very confident in the block...said i'm good up to 30psi or so (not that i will EVER go that high)

this week i meet with Juan from HiBoost again and will be upgrading the intake piping (going larger so i can run the 18psi i want) and making the 3" downpipe, and maybe full exhaust? as there is no "tuning" for the car yet i'm a bit worried about detonation (too much timing) when i'm at the track next month. so for the time being i'm going to be running a J&S Safegaurd unit as a safety precaution until tuning is in place.

on that note, i took 12 SCT tuners up to Gillis so they could start playing with the software. i'll be in touch with him often to keep up on the progress, but won't be updating unless i hear something. he's shooting to get me a tune before MazdaFest, so hope that works out.

then hopefully i'll be swapping in an AWR radiator the weekend before MazdaFest to help with some of the tuning. outside of that, it's just some fine tuning stuff. connect the oil temp gauge, put in the oil catch can, and misc wiring stuff.

as it is right now, i don't have my boost controller hooked up (via the Haltech which i use for tuning) so i don't get too eager before a good break in. sticking with 8psi until i'm done with the 1st 1500 mile and do my first oil change which should be about 2 weeks (since i had a 400mile drive home that was a good start). also, valvetrain is DAMN LOUD now from all the upgraded parts, so if you don't like the engine clicking, then this mod is not for you.

and then on a very side note, most of you know i'm running the 4speed atx with Lentech valvebodies. the tranny is holding up awesome so far, but we'll see how it holds up on the track and after i start playing around with 15-18psi for daily driving. but Gillis said they can do (want to do) a mtx swap when the time come rather than going with the Lentech race tranny...and will do it for MUCH less that what the Lentech would cost, not including it's freight and install. so looking to do the swap to a full race pedal set, tranny and LSD swap about this time next year if all goes well. and will be doing some check-in's with him through the year to get ready for it.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:03 PM

damn man, thats some hardcore moding...

Old 05-03-2006, 01:15 AM

do you sell drugs, or just hookers? ....maybe both at the same time? gl with all these mods man...ur crazy = )

Old 05-03-2006, 03:39 AM

i wish i sold drugs!! make life much easier, i sold my bike for the new engine, just before summer so kinda a downer. luckily i talk myself into some good deals from working with companies. I've helped F2Cars.com with a few things, and the owner, Ricardo, is building a Speedworld Challenge car with the guy that did the work. So i got a new engine for actually a bit less than i got the turbo for.

i've also got him started on SCT (Superchips) tuning, so hopefully i can get him on the market 1st so i can get him some business in return for the great work he did for me. i dropped off 12 tuners when i picked up my car so he could start playing with the software.

Thursday i'll have the exhaust, and hope to do the 1st oil change by the 13th so i can be on fresh oil for Mazdafest.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:41 AM

thats awesome, keep on updated on how well you do...

Old 05-03-2006, 01:24 PM

your car is going to perform great! with all those mods, i would die for even half of them haha... good luck with everything and hope everything works out for you

Old 05-04-2006, 11:48 AM

so whats the point of going with a focus bottom end?
isnt it a smaller engine?

isnt it better to go with larger displacement? there is no replacement for it you know?

i could be wrong. prob not. i know a little bit about bigger engines

ayways good luck with this project it sounds like a very stought litle setup

what are the predicitions on 1/4 times with this animal

Quick Reply: New Engine is in!