Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Fuel sloshing noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 10:38 AM
Default Fuel sloshing noise

Howdy folks. I have a pretty nice 89 B2200 that I'm driving a good bit lately. The other day, just out of the blue, I can hear the fuel sloshing. It's really distinct when I make any kind of maneuvers at low speed and I swear it sounds like it's in the cab. But the area behind the drivers seat, where the tire tools live is dry. (Forgot to mention it's an extended cab) It's not in the evaporator case either. So what I wonder is, do these trucks have any kind of issue with baffles in the tank coming loose and causing sloshing noises? The one other thing I can add is, with a full tank the noise almost completely goes away.. Thanks for reading/answering!

Old 01-11-2023, 05:18 PM

The sloshing noise that you hear could be coming from below the Cab Plus windows......down at the bottom of the body, kinda where the rocker panel would be if there was a 3rd door there. Water can leak into that area from the trim attachment openings, around the cab plus side windows. Lay on the ground, under the lower edge of the truck (below the Cab Plus side windows) and you will see a couple of drain "slots" in the body.......those slots will have dirt or debris in them and the water can't drain out as it should. Using a small flat screwdriver, or a piece of wire, try to clear the dirt or debris away from those slots.......there may be a rubber "flap" over the slots also......if so, lift the lower edge of the rubber flaps, and stick the wire in there, and water will start to drain out of the lower panel of the truck.

I'll see if I have a picture of the underside of my cab plus truck that I can post here.

Old 01-11-2023, 05:28 PM

Here is a pic showing the areas to look for some drain slots........areas are circled in RED.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:08 AM

Bingo!!! The parking lot is wet this morning so I couldn't lay under the truck, but I squatted down and ran my hand along the inside of the right rocker panel till I found one of those rubber plugs and tried to pull it out with a pocket screwdriver (wound up poking it into the reservoir but oh well) and water drained out for most of a minute. Then I tried it on the other side but there was no water over there. I see how it gets in, thru those little vents behind the back windows. When conditions permit, I will find those drain slots and clean them out. Thanks for solving that for me!!

Old 01-12-2023, 06:46 PM

No problem......glad I could help. Also.....been there, done that!

Old 01-13-2023, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by beevis
When conditions permit, I will find those drain slots and clean them out.
I could do that to let my dust out, I'm in Arizona !!!