Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Always something !

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 03:12 PM
Default Always something !

Always something !!! Today drove the 88 Mazda truck to softball, brake warning light came on. Float sensor in MC reservoir was reading low, so looked for a leak. Rear driver side wheel cylinder is leaking after 32 years.

O'Reilly will have it by 9am tomorrow; the front calipers and passenger side rear wheel cylinder have already been changed out. And on the B2200 the left side and right side are actually different, only left side has a bleed valve.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:48 PM

What is the "it" that you bought from O'Reilly? The driver's side rear wheel cylinder? Did you buy the more or less-expensive one? It looks like there's only a dollar difference between the two.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:20 PM

BrakeBest Wheel Cylinder https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/brakebest-hardware---hydraulics-2969/brake-systems-16456/brake-hydraulics-16513/wheel-cylinder-11318/5020ef8206ed/brakebest-wheel-cylinder/wc37752/2568079/1988/mazda/b2200?q=wheel+cylinder&pos=3

I could get this part by tomorrow morning (lifetime warranty), and others listed are 4WD, passenger side, or out of stock. I have time this week to work on it; next week I have senior softball M, W, Th, & Friday. And Monday and Thursday are 90 minutes away.

Wheel cylinder technology is so simple, doubt the metal composition, rubber composition, or QA of the manufacturer can make that much difference. Besides, with the number of Japanese-made Mazda B-trucks still operating in the world, most likely scenario is only one or two actual manufacturers, and other companies simply buy the same part and put it in their own box. These wheel cylinders fit B-trucks only.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:27 PM

Picked up the wheel cylinder, took the drum off, found trailing brake shoe saturated with brake fluid. I've actually not experienced ruined brake shoes from such wheel cylinder leakage before.

So I ordered new brake shoes, should be at O'Reilly before 9am tomorrow.

Old 03-02-2021, 07:46 PM

I may possibly have more new Mazda B parts IN STOCK than any of the parts stores in my town at the moment! I have brand new parts that I probably won't ever use......95% of the time that I need a new part for any of my Mazda trucks, I actually already have it in stock! It is a sickness I tell you!

Old 03-02-2021, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by MeB2000
I may possibly have more new Mazda B parts IN STOCK than any of the parts stores in my town at the moment! I have brand new parts that I probably won't ever use......95% of the time that I need a new part for any of my Mazda trucks, I actually already have it in stock! It is a sickness I tell you!
So if I can't find a part for my truck, can I e-mail you about what you have in stock?

Old 03-03-2021, 07:01 AM

I bought some closeout front end B2200 parts from Rock Auto a few years ago, haven't had need to use them yet. Yes, amazing close-out prices !

Old 03-03-2021, 03:54 PM

OK, today installed the wheel cylinder and the new rear brake shoes. $21 for the wheel cylinder, $24 for the brake shoes. Needed less than 1 ounce of new brake fluid.
I flushed the brake fluid 2 years ago when I did the passenger side wheel cylinder. I lubed up the adjusters and manually adjusted the shoes, will check them in a few weeks to see if they need additional manual adjustment as the linings wear to match the arc of the drum.

And I took it for a test drive, pedal and stopping feel real good !!!

Of course, while doing all this, found my spare tire was down to 5psi, so I aired that up to 35 psi, and will check that in a few weeks.
It's always something !!!

Old 03-03-2021, 04:19 PM

I thought that the spare donut needed around 60 psi for proper inflation?

Old 03-03-2021, 05:02 PM

Hopefully Cusser is not relying on a 30 year old spare tire! Most of us tossed the original spare and have a more recent, previously used tire, for a spare.......actually, my 1991 B2600i 2WD truck still has the original spare under it! DOH!

I need to make sure to tell the tire shop I use, to install one of the current tires on another rim that I will bring with me when I get my new tires on that truck soon......they are now over 6 years old, but look nearly new......Michelin's......and they have been great! Hopefully I won't have any trouble finding new 14's for that truck.

Quick Reply: Always something !