Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

88 b2200 fuel pump works, no gas in carb bowl

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 04:45 PM
Default 88 b2200 fuel pump works, no gas in carb bowl

Hey everyone, I’m new to the b2200 and the forum. I’ve got an 88 B2200 and the mechanical fuel pump works well, but it doesn’t seem there is any fuel getting into the carburetor. I’m not sure how to proceed in figuring out the issue. Could I get some pointers? Forgive me if there are similar threads, I tried searching for them and didn’t find any that seemed helpful.
Bonus info: got the truck free at 150,000 miles last weekend.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

How have you determined that the fuel pump works?

Old 01-31-2021, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Did you pull off the hose at the carburetor, place hose into a jar, and have helper crank the engine? Remember to do this safely, gasoline is dangerous.

How have you determined that NO fuel is getting "into" the carburetor?

Stock carburetor or aftermarket Weber?

Old 01-31-2021, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
stock carb.
I disconnected the hose from the carburetor side and when I crank the truck, the pump sprays fuel out of that hose strongly. Yes, I had it flowing into a bottle for safety. When I pour fuel into the carburetor, the truck runs until it runs out of fuel. With the hose connected the engine doesn’t sound like it try’s to ignite anything, leading me to believe the fuel isn’t getting into the carburetor.

Last edited by Trey Roach; 01-31-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:04 PM

Congrats on a free truck! Post a picture of it if you can.

Close to where the fuel line goes into the carb there is a needle and seat. It can get stuck in the closed position and not let the gas into the carb. If you are lucky, sometimes you can tap on the carb with a wrench in that area and free up the stuck needle. If it's stuck really good, you would need to disassemble and attempt to free it up.

The needle and seat is the two small brass parts it the right of this image.

Old 01-31-2021, 04:09 PM

Post a pic of the top of the carb, specifically the area where the fuel line attaches. Not sure what yours looks like but some have a design that allows removing the needle and seat without taking the top off the carb. If yours is like that, it might be pretty easy to check and free / clear the needle and seat.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:35 AM

Since gas will flow out the hose to the carb, I was thinking about a bad float needle valve too. And if you need to take off the top of the carb, there should be gas in the bowl under that float valve if it is operating properly.

Definitely a fuel delivery issue.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:34 AM

Top down photo of carb

Old 02-02-2021, 10:36 AM

The above photo is my carb, I’m currently figuring out how to take the top of it off so that I can get deeper. I tried firmly tapping the side with a big wrench, but no dice.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:08 PM

When you get the top of the factory carb removed, there will be a needle & seat that the float operates to let fuel into the fuel bowl. If you remove the "seat" you will find a small inlet fuel screen......this screen can get clogged if the truck has a rusty gas tank. Believe it or not, the rust particles can pass through the fuel filter and into the carb. Here is a pic of that small fuel inlet screen that is on the factory fuel inlet "seat".

Quick Reply: 88 b2200 fuel pump works, no gas in carb bowl