Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

87 B 2200 P/U Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 07:39 PM
Talking 87 B 2200 P/U Starting Issues

Does anyone have issues with their P/U after driving for a while you turn off the ignition to do chores/ pump gas/ go to store and start the truck again but it hesitates will eventually turn over & start but should not be doing this

Old 09-17-2020, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rowdawg
Does anyone have issues with their P/U after driving for a while you turn off the ignition to do chores/ pump gas/ go to store and start the truck again but it hesitates will eventually turn over & start but should not be doing this
Only during hot weather for me. It's called vapor lock.

https://help.summitracing.com/app/an...-vapor-lock%3F

Old 09-18-2020, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rowdawg
"it hesitates will eventually turn over & start"

Explain if the starter fails to spin/crank the engine, or if the engine spins and simply does not start.

Detail whether you have the stock carburetor or a Weber aftermarket one; and when you try to re-start do you simply turn the key or do you do anything to the gas pedal?

Old 09-18-2020, 06:03 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cusser
"it hesitates will eventually turn over & start"

Explain if the starter fails to spin/crank the engine, or if the engine spins and simply does not start.

Detail whether you have the stock carburetor or a Weber aftermarket one; and when you try to re-start do you simply turn the key or do you do anything to the gas pedal?
Yes it wants to crank, from the research I've read it seems like it's a starter problem, because iike I said it only does it when it heats up never first thing in the A.M or after cooling down. Yet I wanted to be get a second opinion! So the truck does not turn over (crank) it hesitates when I turn the ignition any ideas or pinion???

Old 09-18-2020, 08:22 PM

Probably a bad starter. Remove the starter and have it bench tested at any McAutoParts store. If it fails the bench test, buy a new one with a good, long warranty.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:28 AM

1. Try a jump start, or at least a real battery test under load before just buying a starter.

2. Hook up (very easy to do) a remote starter (inexpensive) to the small terminal on the starter and the battery positive and try that, to eliminate the ignition switch and some safety switches from the circuit.

And make sure ALL connections are good and clean.