Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

1st post... Reoccuring problem major headaches

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1st post... Reoccurring problem major headaches

You do not need to go through all that for a dry test. Just remove all the spark plugs, insert a compression gauge and crank the engine the same number of times for each cylinder... 4 or 5 is usually enough to tell. No gas. That will flood the cylinders and can give you a false reading.

A wet compressiontest, usually following (do the dry test first, IOWs) a dry compression test, involves squirting a little oil into thethe spark plug holes to help bad rings seal better for a short time. If the compression is significantly different and the readings area lot higher using the wet method, you know your rings are shot.

And I might be wrong, not knowing the internals of your engine that well, but the second return hole may be oilinganother part of the enginebefore it returns to the crank case. IOWs, it's a baffle designed to be there.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Default RE: 1st post... Reoccurring problem major headaches

well I did the dry compression test and here are the numbers

#1 - 125psi
#2 - 115psi
#3 - 120psi
#4 - 125psi

after conducting the compression test I took your guys' advice and i took the oil fill cap off and sure enough there is pulsating air coming out of the hole and it definately sounds like the muffler.

Now I know the proper way to fix this is to do an engine rebuild but does anybody know of substance or agent that could be poured into the cylinders to maybe restore the rings sealing ability. and I'm not talking about dumping oil into the cylinders.

My friend recomended something called "Sea foam" but he said that it would destroy my catalytic converters.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Default RE: 1st post... Reoccuring problem major headaches

jk

Old 05-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

SeaFoam is a carbon build-up cleaner. I have not used it myself but from everything I've read, that's what it does.That is liabletomake the problem worse, not better.
New "rings-in-a-can" has been tried for years... long before you and I were even born. They usually have little or no effect.
However, that said, the latest and greatest product is called Restore. It seems abit pricey to me and needs to be added at every oil change, but is certainly less pricey than a ring and valve job. You might try that for the first oil change and see if it helps.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:39 AM

after much thought I would like to keep my truck because it still runs great and gets decent gas mileage condisering the current gas prices. I have built engines in the past and I know what it takes to build a great engine. For my mazdas engine alli want to do is to get a re-ring kit to restore compression. So all I want to do is hone the cylinders and fit new rings in the engine and call it good. Seems like it's just going to be a big investment in time.

Does anybody know where I can find a re-ring kit for my b2200

Old 05-29-2008, 09:36 PM

napa has them