Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

1997 b2300 starts but won't restart

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 02:01 PM
Default 1997 b2300 starts but won't restart

I have 97 b2300 4 cylinder automatic. My uncle was complaining about the truck not starting so I went and took a look at it and it'll start and run but won't restart once its off. I changed the fuel pump did a tune-up, oil change. It started right up like before but still won't restart. You can smell the fuel building up so I know the pump is working and fuel is getting to the engine. When I changed the pump I noticed the filler neck hose had many cracks in it so I replaced that as well. Just for the hell of it I swapped around the relays under the hood as someone told me the pump relay might be bad or the fuel cut off switch could be triggered. But again you can smell the fuel under the hood if you continue to crank and crank it. I have no clue what else could be wrong with this truck considering what I changed should of fixed it. Does anyone have any clue what it could be? If it sits for a while it'll start again but once off your screwed.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

If it only has hard starting/no starting when hot/warmed up, its going to be one of the sensors getting heat soak.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
If it only has hard starting/no starting when hot/warmed up, its going to be one of the sensors getting heat soak.
you can start it for 5 seconds, turn it off and wait 5 seconds or 5 minutes and it won't start again. Engine can be stone cold still. I checked power going to the coil packs, both are getting good juice. I pulled the 4 plugs on the passenger side and found the brand new spark plugs are black as hell already. I ran a spark test with placing the plug in the wire and having my wife crank it. Spark was present. So there is fuel and spark. Its just not starting. The few times I got it to start yesterday my wife was cranking the hell out of it and I was messing with the throttle under the hood, I got it to catch but basically flooding the engine with fuel to start it. Also she had to keep her foot on the gas or it would die out. The exhaust painted my driveway and garbage pails with carbon, just straight dry carbon. There is no CEL on. This is 1 of those puzzles that your almost done but missing those last 1 or 2 pieces.

Old 05-30-2020, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
update: I ran a fuel pressure test today, after doing the suggested 3 cycles key on key off, no engine starting, the Guage reads 40 psi. So the pump is definitely working. I've left the Guage connected for 15 minutes and rechecked it and psi has not dropped. So the injectors aren't leaking. Could I have just gotten a bad fuel filter? I will try and replace the filter again with a different one and see if that helps. I really wish I could get some advice and or assistance here