Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Wish list

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 07:22 AM
Default Wish list

This is my list on things I will be (FINALLY!!) doing to my 92 323 1.6 liter 4cly 5 spd manual.

The only thing I have done to it since I got it was, I had to get a new Air Mass Flow Metter, changed the two belts, and changed out the old front break pads, ratiator cap, and PCV vaule. And I guess so far thats it.

Things I need/want to do are

1. Get new rotors
2. replace the wheel cly
3. replace rear struts
4. Flush ratiator
5. Get new drums and shoes
6. Get a new instrament cluster (one with an RPM gauge)
7. Hope full find out if I need new bushings
8. get some matching wheels (lol longs story on that one)
9. and get some new fun stuff like new speakers, radio, and stuff like that.
10. Some new spark plugs/wires (I have already replaced both but I want get some better quality ones)

Brake shoes

Drums

Rotors

Wheel Cly

Rear Sturts

Spark plug

Wires

Ok I have pretty much asked how to do most of the stuff on this list. I am just making sure I have every thing to do, or just makeing sure I am not forgetting any thing.

Bleeder Kit

Spring Compressor

Any way thats what I plan on buying when I get my tax return this year. Well I hope (crosses fingers)
So if any one has any suggestions or thinks I sould get something diffrent or do something diffrent fill free to.

I am just trying to make sure I get every thing right.

Later

Aaron-

Old 12-29-2005, 07:08 PM
Default RE: Wish list

i would change out all your bushings and your ball joints, since most are probably still original. [&:] if you do do that, make sure you pony up the xtra green to get the polyurethane bushings[:'(], as they will last longer and absorb more vibrations. also get the rest of your suspension inspected,[&:] replace anything else as needed (sway bars, idler arm, ect.) if you do need to replace those get the lightweight titanium counterparts.

also, look into converting your rear drum brakes into disc brakes. i did that on an old full-size chevy once and the improvement on the stopping was phenomional!

good luck

Old 12-29-2005, 07:09 PM

oh, and get your ignition coil(s) tested, or replaced. i prefer the accel brand coils for my applications.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:58 AM

Ok cool thanks for the advice.

How hard is it to change the set up from drum to disc?

Ok so I need to look in to Polyurethane bushings and if needed lightweight titanium counterparts on my suspension. Ok sounds good I'll look in to it.

I love the feed back. I like others opions makes my life so much easier.

Thanks for the help.

I'll see what I can find.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:08 AM

Oh and where is a good place to look for some of those parts you where talking about?

Any good part store you use, or could recomend?

Old 12-30-2005, 04:50 PM

I personally would not worry about the poly bushings myself. The benefit would not outweigh the cost unless you plan on doing serious driving. For everyday driving, just go with factory replacement parts if needed. As far as converting rear brakes to disc setup, it can get quite costly. As stated in the previous post with a full size Chevy, rear disc can make a major difference. With a small car such as yours, it will not be as big a benefit. A small car is not as hard to stop. Also, rear conversions are more readily available for these vehicles and less expensive. Just stick to stock, it is the most reliable.

If you wanted to buy an older Camaro or Mustang, there is a world full of aftermarket performance parts available, and for our Mazdas...very few.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:59 PM

yeah that's what I figured. I agree, it is just best to tune it up to just the specs first. I am happy with it. I really just want my 323 to be in great running condition and thats about it.

So bkey71 could you give me some idea what I should go with in getting some of the parts I am neededing or going to need?

Right now I need to get some drums and at least one new if not two wheel clys, also new shoes. I think very soon probably get some new bushings and some rear struts.

I just need to get an idea what is going to be worth getting and whats just crap if you could help me out?

Old 12-31-2005, 03:37 PM

I think you made good choices on your list above.

Usually you don't have to replace the drums, just get them resurfaced if there is enough thickness to them. There is a minimum thickness stamped on them, and long as you don't exceed that spec, resurface them. If they are too thin, replace.

As far as wheel cyls, only replace in pairs. This is because they have the same mileage and time on them. Only one might be leaking right now, but soon as you do a brake job, the other one will go!

Monroe struts are a good choice and are a well known brand thats been around for years. I would have a shop transfer the coil springs for you if not experienced in this area. Coil springs are very dangerous to someone that has never messed with them. They can cause serious injury or even have deadly consequences if not careful.

NGK plugs would be the best choice since they are the made for the car, just don't go with Bosch. Bosch are good for German cars, thats about it. Same thing with Autolite also, I don't care for them, go with what the manufacturer calls for.

To check the control arm and sway bar bushings, jack up the car and look to see if there are any cracks or splitting in the rubber or rubber missing. On my 87 323, the bushings were still good, so these cars hold up quite well. Same thing with my 95 Protege, they are still good also.

I would stick to Parts America, they seem to have better quality stuff as far as aftermarket. Autozone is okay, a lot of their parts are not near as good despite the "lifetime warranty".