Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

What gas do you use??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Default RE: What gas do you use??

oh ok cool!! thanks for the info guys! anyone else have something they've learned ???

Old 04-20-2006, 04:22 AM

bkey was 100% right in his evaluation of Octane. Everyone seems to think that if I use a higher Octane I will get more power and go faster. That is an absolute complete falacy. As bkey noted, higher octane means only that it will combust or explode at a higher temp and pressure. Lower octane will explode in the combustion chamber at a lower temp/pressure. Google around a bit about high and low octane fuels and you will figure it out soon enough. Few links below to start. I think the falacy begins when you hear about racers using super high octane fuels ( even aviaton type ) in order to get the engines to operate the way they do. Its not the high octane fuel that provides that high power but the $50,000 engine that is used. The super high octane is needed in these engines by design.
If you do not believe then try this challenge. Run you tank untill it is near empty and have someone else fill it with either 87 or the highest octane that you can find without them telling you which they put in. When tank is near empty again then have them refill again with the oposite that they used before. I will guarantee that you will not be able to tell the difference in horsepower/torque/etc. It just does not provide that difference. It is not designed to.
As for Ethanol. Regular dino fuel is diluted with ethanol in some areas of my state during parts of the year but levels are not to exceed 5-10%. Any higher than that and it creates problems with cold starts, missfire, and dieseling. We even have test kits that we use to be able to determine the % of ethanol in the fuel. Pure flex fuel vehicles use not pure ethanal but around 85% pure. Same tank is used but sensors in the fuel system determine what you are using and how the system should respond accordingly. Some of the B trucks are flex fuel but it is noted right on the inside of the fuel door that it is and should not be used otherwise. Read some of the links below but realize that by mixing "pure" ethanol with you regular gas is not going to benifit you in any way. Pure ethanol to your engine instead of regular fuel is the equal of you having a Pepsi or a Shot of Everclear. Get the picture.
Bdizzle : you are wasting money by buying 93 and boosting it to ??115
envirocbr : Exactly where do you work. "I am in Fuel Remediation Services and Engineering" BS or you would know better.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/flextech.shtml

http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/CHEMWEEK...L/ethanol.html

http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/altfuel/ethanol.html

Old 04-20-2006, 10:52 AM

baby huey is correct on the octane I only use the higher stuff cause of my nitrious in the winter I run 89 all day long .now on my Nova I have to use airplane fuel straight cam 2 115 octane cause that's i built it for i wish i could run pump gas in it but run like the dodo and right now cam2 is 4.67 a gal I can barely drive my Nova case prices are getting so high and dont use staight cam 2 in a rugular car it will burn the motor quicker than a one pump chump

Old 04-20-2006, 01:46 PM

A good rule of thumb for naturally aspirated motors is the higher the compression ratio of the motor, the higher the octane required

I believe the CR of the 2.0 & 2.3L stock engines is around 9.5:1 (fairly high for a stock motor), but still low enough to use 87 octane. At around 10:1 you need to start running Premium (93 Octane). My friend's 1100 hp monster is 13.1:1 compression and we run it with 114 Octane w/o NO2, and 118 Octane with NO2...

Old 04-20-2006, 11:16 PM

Yeah sorry envirocbr but i was pretty sure it didnt sound like you knew what you where talken about... Thank you babyhuey,Bdizzle and sstlaure!! ur info really helped me out!! Gas prices are sky rocketing and i was looken for a way to get a bigger bang for my buck but i guess i'll just have to drive slower!!

Old 04-21-2006, 12:01 AM

The best thing for MPG is to keep the tires at proper pressure, keep the air filter clean, keep tune-up's up to date, and don't carry excess weight in the car.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:37 PM

Ok cool!! Just something though... doesnt higher octane burn at a lower tempurature ??? would make more sence to me anyway that the higher the octane the purer it is so doesnt it burn at a lower tempurature?? because i know someone who put jet fuel in their car and when they turned off the car the engine was still going therfore proveing that higher octane burns at a lower temp no??

Old 04-22-2006, 01:41 AM

The fuels from what I know is they are all the same. The difference is the chemical package put in each grade. I am not a chemical engineer so I cannot give specifics. As stated before it would be best to google fuels if you want to learn more about them.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:33 AM

Turning the car off and it still running just means someone just had a crappy running car. If the car is keyed off, then then fuel pump isn't pumping. No fuel, no go.

Most likely his car was "dieseling" due to massive carbon deposits within his cylinders.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:28 PM

Hey Dave you can run wood gas! Not only will it be cheap, you will slow down a bit! ..... Well I should say a lot. But hey it's cheap.

--=={madjack}==--

Quick Reply: What gas do you use??