Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

what is this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Default what is this?

could anyone tell me, on a 323 hatchback 1.6 1992, what is the 'sensor-like' thing on the intake manifold (screwed in, with a connector connected) it's in between the 2 left injectors... mine has a green connector

can anyone tell me what it is, it's name and/or function? can i run the car with that thing unplugged? (cause it seems to be the cause of my problems as of now)

thank you!

Old 11-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Default RE: what is this?

Can you take a pic of what you mean? It would make it easy to figure it out.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:27 AM

ok... here's a picture i took from the internet... just to show you the placement of the sensor thingny...

My engine doesn't have a turbo or anything... just plain 1.6 and it looks close enough to that one...

on the picture....

PINK represents the placement of the injectors
GREEN represents the location of the sensor... on intake manifold if i'm right

so just imagine you look at that from a bird's view... it's at the green spot between theses injectors..

----------------

I unplugged that sensor.... all my problems are gone (read other thread by borden) except it is no w hard to start when cold... CEL is on all the time.... but it runs fine once it's started... i would like to kno what it is so i can replace it by a non-defective one. THANK YOU!

[IMG]local://upfiles/7041/B0D61ACF80614A3BAFAA7CF6EAF880EA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7041/6E8DE672E2E94E9C8BFD115EB3C58E58.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-28-2006, 09:35 PM

I think it is your O2 sensor... that is what it sounds like from the desription. O2 sensors adjust the fuel ratio so on cold mornings it would be running lean and the O2 sensor is a check engine light. Plus if it is bad it will stop the car from running. They screw into the manifold.

But I have never seen under the hood of a 323, so I am just guessing from what you said.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:04 PM

Well, i guess i'm gonna order that part and change it.... i'll remove it first to check if the replacement part is the same.. thank you!

Old 01-06-2007, 04:52 AM

that isn't the O2 sensor, the O2 sensor is on the exhaust manifold.
i'm not exactly sure what that is... what you might try, visit your local mazda dealer, ask for a diagram, and they can show you that, and what it's called, and it's part number. then, go to your local auto parts store, not sure about checker/kraegan (spelling?) or autozone, but Napa has pictures available. my guess is the IAC, i work at napa, we have a 98 ford ranger delivery pickup, and when i unhook the IAC, Idle Air Control Valve, the CEL (check engine light) comes on, and it does not idle up like it should. what is the problem you're having with your car? describe the problem better please.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Default Found it, a long time ago but i tought i'd post anyways...

Ok guys, so for all of you who didn't know what it was...

that sensor is actually the coolant temperature sensor... it's the one responsible for all my problems for a long time.

When the car is cold, it runs like a charm (cuz it's on 'choke' - not really choke since it's injected computer assist - stage), when it gets warmer, ('choke' gets removed) and its runs for a bit... then the sensor sends a wrong message to computer saying the car is somewhat cold, or not warmed up... so it puts it back into the 'choke' mode to warm it up. Wich is why my engine kept on dying all the time

remember those old weed-eaters? they had no stop switch, just a pull on choke to kill... same thing here!