Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Used 323 tire problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Default Used 323 tire problems

I bought a used '93 323 hatchback (automatic) about six months ago. While it visibly was showing its age, it still appeared to perform well enough. One problem I have is a creaking noise when I am turning (it tends to occur within the first minute or two of the drive and not so much after that). One mechanic said it might be because of a damaged CV boot, which he replaced. That didn't stop the noise. It doesn't seem to affect the handling/turning, but the noise is obviously worrisome. Any other suggestions on what this might be?

Also, about a month ago, I ran over a cone (seriously, wasn't my fault!) with my front right tire. Soon after the steering wheel would vibrate while driving and sometimes I would hear a thumping noise. I found that the tire was somewhat deformed, so I took it in and had it replaced with a brand new tire. All four tires were pretty old/worn. About a week ago I started feeling a similar vibration in the steering wheel. One day I noticed that the front left tire was about to fail in one spot, so I ran over and got that one replaced, too (didn't have the same tire as before, but same size, just different brand/tread design). Now when I drive the steering wheel seems fine, but every now and then it feels like I'm driving over small dips or bumps in the road that aren't really there. Both front tires seem to be bulging out at the bottom (moreso on the front left), as if they have lost some pressure, and it may be getting worse. Is this likely due to inadequate tire pressure (i.e. could it probably be solved by getting the pressure checked)? Or could there be a more serious issue with the tire mounting or suspension or something else that would be causing this?

Thanks for any help/advice you can provide on these issues, I really want Fluff (my car) to last!

Old 04-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Used 323 tire problems

hmmm...i woudl have the frotn end looked over...as in the front end components...and check the condition of the rims...

Old 06-12-2005, 02:51 AM

You probably have some wear in some of the suspension components, like ball joints or tie rods. Any "funny" steering effects should be checked out immediately, as well as any vibration. This could indicate a serious and possibly dangerous problem. Steering, suspension, and tires are nothing to fool with or cut corners on, yet they are easily the most neglected parts of the average car. Virtually every used vehicle I have bought has needed signifigant suspension work. and most of them have needed a new set of tires as well.

Old 08-03-2005, 11:32 AM

Hold on whoa you have two different types of tyre on the front? they would have different turn-in and brake and rolling resistance for a start which would continually put strain on components. not to mention that thats dangerous (i know over here in aust. its illegal). they are your front wheels ffs you turn brake and drive with them - i want my fronts to be super sticky and matched always. yes it could have to do with your tyre pressures they should be about 40psi prehaps a little less maybe 38psi if you do mostly town driving