Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Starts, runs 1or2 seconds then dies...plugs soaked

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Default Starts, runs 1or2 seconds then dies...plugs soaked

Hi, this is my second post, I sent the first to Mazda 6 by accident. This is my problem:
After removing engine from my '93 Mazda 626 2.5L to replace a siezed cam, install new clutch disc, timing belt etc. I put engine back in, hooked up everything then proceeded to try to start engine. She fired right off but then died after a second or two. I immediately pulled a spark plug to see if wet or dry. It was soaked with gasoline. Next I checked for spark. OK, plenty of spark. Looks to me as if plugs are being drowned. Why so much gas?? Also upon checking everything I found that I had neglected to reconnect the air flow sensor plug. I connected it then per a post on this site I disconnected the battery, waited a minute or so then reconnected battery. I then stepped on the brake pedal five times to remove the code. No good...not so much as a hiccup.
I would really appreciate any and all advice that might help me in this situation. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:13 PM

do you have spark? Replaced timing belt, that could be the issue that it slipped.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:46 PM

did you fix the problem?

Old 01-14-2014, 03:20 PM
Default Still trying

Originally Posted by Juanky
did you fix the problem?
No, but know a few things more. After start & run for couple of seconds there is spark. Found a few cracks in air inlet elbow, so replaced. Then connected mass airfow body and fuel pressure regulator electrically, as well as all hoses. I figured if I pushed in the sensor cone by hand while cranking and she starts this would indicate a massive vacuum leak ahead of sensor. Didn't make a damn bit of difference, still no fire after first attempt. Thanks for your interest!

Old 01-14-2014, 05:18 PM

i would check all sensors to be well connected. and check the timing marks on that timing belt. or do a compression test. if the timing is off, it could show as low compression. make sure the timing marks align at tdc on the compression stroke. check the fuel pressure to see if the pressure regulator is working as it should.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by mazdamax
Hi, this is my second post, I sent the first to Mazda 6 by accident. This is my problem:
After removing engine from my '93 Mazda 626 2.5L to replace a siezed cam, install new clutch disc, timing belt etc. I put engine back in, hooked up everything then proceeded to try to start engine. She fired right off but then died after a second or two. I immediately pulled a spark plug to see if wet or dry. It was soaked with gasoline. Next I checked for spark. OK, plenty of spark. Looks to me as if plugs are being drowned. Why so much gas?? Also upon checking everything I found that I had neglected to reconnect the air flow sensor plug. I connected it then per a post on this site I disconnected the battery, waited a minute or so then reconnected battery. I then stepped on the brake pedal five times to remove the code. No good...not so much as a hiccup.
I would really appreciate any and all advice that might help me in this situation. Thanks.
(Only if you have no compression)
Check your rpm gauge when you crank it over.
If you have little to no movement. Then you have no compression.
Chances are you Gas washed the cylinders.
Which is why your plugs are soaked.
The fuel is just blowing right thru the rings.
I just had a similar problem on my 2.5.
I had to take the plugs out.
And pour transmission fluid into the cylinders to build my
Pressure back up.
Once my press was back up.
I added new plugs and it started right up.
(Sounds crazy) and I never heard of this before.
But found out it to be true.

On a secondary note.
A crankshaft sensor will give you similliar problems.
Easy to replace and about a $50-$75 part.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:52 AM
Banned

Old car.
Leaking fuel injector seals letting too much fuel go by.