Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Default Shifter

Hi all.

First post on this forum. Not a stranger to forums, tho.

Need alittle help.

Just bought a 1991 626. It has an auto tranny. The shifter is hard to get outta park. The release button is hard to push at first. But after shifting, it works ok. I have tried pushing it down and pulling it up. Is there an adjustment I can do to fix this.

Thanks,

Cory

Old 09-27-2012, 04:25 PM

Maybe it just needs a little lube. I would spray Heavy Silicone Lube by CRC in the gap around the release ****. Also check if the shift cable assembly is good. I don't know if this diagram shows the '91 but it should help.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:59 AM

Schaweet. Thanks so much for the help. I will give it a shot when I get home tonight.

Thanks again,

Cory

Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 PM

Well....i tried the silicone lube and it helped alittle. But its still kinda tough. Is there an adjustment i can try? My wife drives this car and i really dont want her to get stranded.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cory

Old 10-03-2012, 03:35 PM

Cory: A quick search on google on shifting problems brought up things like bad transmission, broken band and such but I am skeptical. I like to see if there are problems in the shift assembly rather than the transmission. In my opinion this here is the most promising approach:
"Check the shift cable that goes between the shifter and the transmission. If it's damaged internally it will not move properly and the condition you stated will be a symptom. Easiest way to check it is to disconnect the transmission end of cable and see if it moves freely. If not, replace it."by Richard Scordino on FIXYA

Do you have the Haynes manual? It will show you how to remove the shifter assambly.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Cory: A quick search on google on shifting problems brought up things like bad transmission, broken band and such but I am skeptical. I like to see if there are problems in the shift assembly rather than the transmission. In my opinion this here is the most promising approach:
"Check the shift cable that goes between the shifter and the transmission. If it's damaged internally it will not move properly and the condition you stated will be a symptom. Easiest way to check it is to disconnect the transmission end of cable and see if it moves freely. If not, replace it."by Richard Scordino on FIXYA

Do you have the Haynes manual? It will show you how to remove the shifter assambly.

Good luck to you!
Thanks, man. I really appreciate all the help.

I came to the realization yesterday that this is above my skill level. Kinda whimped out. I called the shop we go to and took it in. it may take a couple of days as they will try to fit it in between job. But they treat us great and the price is always great.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Cory

Old 10-04-2012, 04:37 PM

Cory: let us know what it was. We learn from feedback.

All the best to you.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 AM

Oh yeah. I will.

I have learned quit a bit from forums like this. Be glad to return the favor.

Thanks,

Cory

Old 10-09-2012, 10:57 AM

Hi everyone. Soorry it took me so long to get back. Been a busy weekend.

We picked up the car on Friday evening. It looks like the shift interlock is the problem. It needs to be replaced. It is $150 for the part alone and is a dealer item. oh, and the plactic "switch" thingy in the shift consule is broken, so you cannot put you key down in there to active the bypass. So...my amazing mechanice removed the plastic part, fabed up a rod to fit down in there to activate the bypass. It works great. Haven't had to use it since picking the car up on Friday. We may or may not have the interlock replaced. The wife is happy with the way it is and has no problem using the rod if necessary.

Thanks for all the help.

Cory

Old 10-09-2012, 04:18 PM

I was going to say that about the interlock. I have a 00 Jimmy and it was doing the same thing, but at times I couldn't get it out of park. I traced it to the interlock solenoid on the shifter itself. I went to a salvage yard and picked up a complete shifter assembly for $30.00 and installed it myself. They are pretty straightforward to replace.
To replace mine was over $200.00 so I opted for a used one and so far it still works great.

Quick Reply: Shifter