Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Ok well still not sure whats wrong

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 02:44 AM
Default Ok well still not sure whats wrong

Been driving for a while. my little 92 323. 1.6 has been fine.

But lately it seems like its having a little trouble.

Posted befor and most every one said it soulded like the clutch was going.

I am not sure, but I think this problem could have started to come after I had burning out a few times. So I don't know if its the clutch or if is something to do with the drive train or something like that but I would like to have some idea on how to figure out if it is the clutch or what.

Any ideas.

So its really late so If I didn't put some info in I will later.

I just need know what to do.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:41 AM
Default RE: Ok well still not sure whats wrong

Does it seem to be getting worse?

Usually if the clutch is slipping, you will hear the engine revving but you are not moving as fast. It is hard to describe. It feels like the car is trying to catch up to engine speed. It is most noticeable in higher gears normally. Maybe another description...if you are going down the road in say 4th gear at 35 mph and you step on the gas and hear the engine rev, but not accelerating in vehicle speed the clutch is slipping.

BTW,it is not good to be doing burn outs. It will make the clutch burn up much faster and prematurely. the surface of the clutch disc in the transmission looks just like brake pad material.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:43 AM

*sigh*

Yes so it is the clutch then. Crap....

I feared as much.

Thats pretty much what its doing. I mean its getting there. So I will need to have it replaced soon.

Yeah I know burn outs are bad, I only did them a couple of times and now I am paying for them. I mean you live and you learn. I am young and not always the brightest of the bunch.

lol ok well this is that big of a problem its in my price range I think.

One quick question. Is it a better idea to get like a good clutch kit and get some shop to install or just take it some where and see how much they will charge?

How much would something usually run for?

I have no idea on this one. I mean if I am looking at some where between 4 and 600 then I am good there. I can pay that but I want to get a good clutch. I don't want some crap.

An ideas?

Old 04-11-2006, 01:21 AM

here are a couple prices on clutch kits:
Beck/Arnley

Centerforce

One is from our newest sponsor! These are both sold at Parts America and both good quality.

As for installation, some shops will not install customer supplied parts. You will need to shop around to get prices, get a few estimates and compare.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:05 AM

Ok cool.

I think I have a good place to go to and look.

I will see what they say and get some kind of idea. How long does some thing like this take?

Do they have to move the engien up or down to get to the clutch or does it just come out real easy?

If I know that befor I go in I will have a better idea on what they will tell me.

thanks

Old 04-11-2006, 11:22 PM

The transmission has to be removed to replace the clutch. The clutch assembly is sandwiched between the engine and trans, inside the bell housing.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:20 AM

ok well doesn't sound to hard to take out.

Well I have to wait about 2-4 weeks befor I can get this done. So I am going to ask around and proble just get someone to put it all in for after I buy the clutch kit.

So things are looking good thanks