Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

My car

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Default My car

Hey, I am new to this forum and was looking for some advice. I have a 1996 626 2.0 Liter, 4 cylinder and I have been having problems with the car for quite some time now. It will get to the point where it will sometimes have to get to about 5mph to get full power and then when it hits about 3500 rpm's it starts jerking and really giving me a hard time. Usually when it happens we just get the MAF cleaned and it does the trick. Last night we (me and my roomate) redid the spark plugs and wires and changed the oil. Before we did this the car ran fine except on longer trips, about 60 miles or sometimes even smaller trips than that and it would again start giving me a hard time with the acceleration and the "roadblock" with the rpms. So we took it for a drive after we did everything last night, realized it was messing up, we came back and cleaned the mass air flow sensor and it didn't help. Then we installed a performance air filter on it and same old problem. I wasn't expecting the filter to help anything buy my engine is louder and it seems to get more power. I was just wondering if anyone has had the same issues as me and if it just comes down to replacing the MAF. If anyone has any advice, it would be very helpful. Thanks for your time.
On a side note, one day it was acting up when we replaced the hose involving oil, and took it to a shop to get it diagnosed and this is what they came out being wrong with it.

They discovered that the transmission has internal damage and needs to be replaced, the catalytic converter needs replacement, recommend a major tune, they said there is a coolant leak from the radiator and should replace it, noticed noise from the top of front struts when turning the wheel, recommend replacing it with new struts. recommend replacing timing belt.

Has anyone had any of these problems with their engine and if so what did you do about it. My moms cousin owns a dealership where we got the car from and they had replaced the transmission in 2002, so he said not to worry about anything with the car. I am just looking for advice and any extra help. Thanks.