Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Heater/cooler fan not working 91 626 gd sedan

Old 05-08-2010, 02:39 AM
Default Heater/cooler fan not working 91 626 gd sedan

RE: My Mazda 1991 626 GD 2.2L Sedan auto

The blower heater/cooling fan under the dash is not working

Fan speeds 1 & 2 do not work
Fan speeds 3 & 4 do work OK

I addition, the air conditioner light stays on with fan speeds 1 & 2, BUT,
on fan speeds 3 & 4, even though the fan blows, the air con light does not come on?

I checked the fan fuse and its OK, I even replaced it with the spare fuse, but fan speeds 1 & 2 still do not work.

Does anyone who has had the same problem know what might be wrong?

In a previous car I owned [corolla] the problem was a resistor on the fan motor which needed replacing but very hard to get at

If it is a fan motor resistor, does anyone know where it sits?
If so, how do I go about getting at it under the dash?
Looks like the fan motor is about under centre dash

Thanks

Speedy

Old 05-10-2010, 04:31 AM

This could very well be the blower resistor. The blower motor is located below the passenger's dashboard and you can reach it by removing the plastic cover (only 3 small screws). You'll need to unscrew the resistor as well, which can be found by following the wires around the blower motor. I used a small ratchet to remove the screws because there wasn't enough room for a normal screwdriver.

I'm having the same problem as you, but was able to fix speed 2 by solder a resistor on the assembly. On this german forum you can find a diagram with the respective resistance values for the resistorpack.
http://www.mazda-forum.info/121-323-...erproblem.html
You do need to register though. And for those of you who don't know, klima is German for air conditioning

Good luck!
(does anybody by any chance know if the resistorpack of a 323 from the same era can be used in a 626 with minor adjustments?)

Old 05-10-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by marnixdv
Does anybody by any chance know if the resistorpack of a 323 from the same era can be used in a 626 with minor adjustments?
Soooo, as it appears you can actually use a blower resistor from a 323. I bought a resistor at the scrapyard for an old 323 (around '94 I believe) and it works! Although I am not sure if this is also true for aircon. But without aircon you need to change the pinout from the 4-wired plug and connect the spare wire that is left.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:58 AM

Thanks Marnix

I try and get at it - I assume that the plastic cover you are talking about is the one that surrounds the radio/cassette player?

Probably won't have time for a couple of days - let you know how it goes

Speedy

Old 05-11-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by speedy123
Thanks Marnix

I try and get at it - I assume that the plastic cover you are talking about is the one that surrounds the radio/cassette player?
You're welcome. No, it's the cover on the passenger side underneath the glove compartment.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:36 AM

I'm glad you told me that - save me unnecessary trouble!

OK Under glove box!

Have to go to a funeral friday - friends mother died

and my daughter is visiting for a week

See how I go weekend

Thanks

Old 05-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Default Fault fixed

I got the old fan speed resistor out of the spot it sits in.

It sits under the glove box. Under the glove box is a plastic shield that is kept in place by only two small screws. You gently unscrew the screws, then pull out the plugs that the screws keep in place. The shield then lowers to the passenger front floor and hooks on the back of the lower firewall area. No need to take that right off as the fan speed resistor sits to the right of the white fan motor. No need to remove the fan motor.

The fan speed resistor is a black partially hexagon shaped black plastic piece that is held in place with only two brass looking screws. You need a short philips head to screw them out. You can recognise it because it has three wired plugs going into it.

When taking the resistor out of its position, don't use too much force or you might break the coiling of the resistor. Unplug the two plugs with wiring. But not necessary to unplug the loop plug with the short green wire [part of the resistor].

I tried spraying it with WD40 and put it back in, but it made no difference.

I shopped for the genuine Mazda part, but the price was too high > $136
I shopped for an aftermarket part, but nobody had one
I Tried a Mazda wrecker but no luck
I tried a general wrecker and they said they had one - it cost me $35 with a 30 day guarantee

I asked what you look for in a good one and was told, not too much rust on the coiling area and more importantly that the green ceramic layers on the top of the coiling are still very much in place [not cracked off or missing]. In my case, with the faulty one, it was rusty and one layer of ceramic material was mostly gone [deteriorated]

I plugged the wrecker resistor in and BINGO! It worked great! It fixed both the speeds 1 & 2 [now working] and the air con orange led light now worked on all 4 speeds.

I got a an exploded type diagram from the Mazda parts dealer showing where it fits. If I can get it to upload on this forum I will submit it in another reply. Tried but rejected too big.

Thanks Marnixdv

PS It is possible that a Telstar of the same MAZDA vintage will have the same resistor - but make sure you bring the old resistor to the wrecker, because when he got the Telstar one out it didn't match. Make sure its the 2.2ltr motor telstar. Then he found a Mazda GD in his yard and got it from that [he didn't know he had one in the yard]

Old 09-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Default I have the exact same problem

Heater AC fan does not work in position 1 and 2 but works fine in 3 and 4. AC light only comes on in position One (Fan doesn't work there). I am going to utilize advice and post results. 9-7-10 purchased used blower resistor at junk yard and everything works fine thanks for excelent advice. When part was in my hand (Old part removed) AC light came on with fan in position one fan did not work, and Heater / AC Fan did not work in position 1,2,3, or 4

Last edited by ecousin; 09-07-2010 at 10:33 PM.