Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

ECU computer / immobilizer problems?? or other?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Default RE: ECU computer / immobilizer problems?? or other?

K, I can start the car fine (cranked over 30x or so, both keys changin back & forth, wiring seems to be ok around the immoby)...cant get any codes though...I guess 'cause it's workin'.....One other thing. We've had a lot of rain lately (8-10 inches last weekend, just before these probs)...could this be pointing to moisture? I'll see if she wants to start in the morning after the dew settles in tonight. I keep my windows rolled up but still, just throwin' that out there.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:29 PM

(I'm sure you knew this...) I unplugged Immoby...started 3x didn't start after, plugged back in...started right up. I mentioned moisture before...I brought the immoby in the house for the night...maybe I'm crazy, but I'm trying anything.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:55 AM

10:35Pm, took immob & plugged into car...started fine....

Old 09-02-2006, 09:44 AM

6:45 am, took immoby out of apt & started car fine w/ both keys....

Old 09-02-2006, 05:55 PM

K, it's failing now...started and stopped probably 5x today in my driving from place to place. Now it's giving code 24 (2 long, 4 short)...
What does this tell us??? Is there a way to reset it?

Old 09-03-2006, 03:52 AM

I took apart more of my steering column and checked wiring, plugs, etc. Took some pics....
You can look at 'em here: Quick Pics

Old 09-05-2006, 05:43 PM

Called another dealer (3 hours away) they said the keys/immoby were out of sync...any way to resync w/ out taking to dealer? Hate to tow it 3 hrs away...

Old 09-07-2006, 02:04 AM

Sorry for being pokey back to you robinsonjas. Took a look at the pics as well as the code. 24 means that immobilizer unit had a communication problem with PCM. Open or Short. I think that taking the immoby out for the night could set the code fairly easily. Was hoping for some key communication codes that might point towards a bad key. Pics were great as well. That is not the PCM but instead the air bag module. The twisted white wires that you see in the pics are for the Immoby coil. Great pic as well of the back side of the immoby unit. The serial number is the key to getting the Code Word to resync or program any new keys. The procedure can be done by yourself but requires a bit of patience to input the correct Code Word back into the system. That may be a good place to start. If Code Word is lost between the Immoby unit and PCM then this should give a no start at all times. I will not give you the Code Word over internet as it is specific to you car, PCM, and Immoby unit. If you want to try and input this yourself then will guide you as best as I can to do this. Is a pain in the *** I will warn you but will sure save a trip to the dealer if they are that far away. Let me know if you want to give it a try and I will try to guide you thru the procedure.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:31 AM

I towed the car to an auto electrician locally. He says he's done work on PCM/Electrical systems for years and has experience w/ these types of problems. He has an 'AllData' CD? (couldn't read it very well over his shoulder on his pc) that shows wiring diags & procedures. He will try to chase out the short/open circuit or further pinpoint the problem.

Do you suggest trying a new key?
How do I get the Code Word? (Dealer?) I've got all my #'s...VIN, Immoby #'s, PCM #'s...
I have a dealer 20 miles away but they have already said they have no idea and would just swap parts until it's magically fixed...This is why I hesitate to take it there.

One final question, if I have to replace the PCM, can it be done without going to the dealer? I found foreignecurepair.com and they can ship a reman'd ecu but I'm unsure how to get the reman'd ecu to talk to the immoby, etc???? My local dealership says new ecu=$1000...another dealership 3hrs away says ecu=$500...I've been w/out the car for over a week and really need to get it up and running but I don't want to get screwed.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:52 PM

Alldata is just an aftermarket service manual system. I do not see from that website that they stock an ECU that would fit your car. If you look at the inventory you would be looking for a KLR9 or a KLS1 thru KLS7. There are about 30 different computers available for you car depending upon application and base calibration. All look to retail for just under $500 and not $1000[:@].
Trying a new key would be a very good place to start with as it is much less expensive. Might even be a good idea just to re-enter the Code Word using your two existing keys and see if that solves the problem. You need to have a minimum of two keys to start the programming procedure so if you want to try using completely new keys then will need two new ones. Do you by any chance have any other keys on the keyring that have a chip in them from another vehicle or other source of interference or is the key being used by itself. Sometimes another key will interfer with the signal is why I ask. Does this auto electrician have information available about procedure for inputing a Code Word in the Alldata??

Quick Reply: ECU computer / immobilizer problems?? or other?