Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

a breath of fresh (cold) air for a '93 929?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Default a breath of fresh (cold) air for a '93 929?

what is the best way to get cold air into a '93 929? cheaply too?

Old 05-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Default RE: a breath of fresh (cold) air for a '93 929?

cold air intake u mean ?? Get a short ram or somethen waht do u mean by cheap ?? I think a reasonable good one goes for around 120 but im not totaly sure.. Someone made a post resently on what seems to be a really cheap way 2 do it... i'll try and find it for u

Old 05-20-2006, 11:56 PM

I would try looking up on ebay to see what is out there and your price range.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: dave87

cold air intake u mean ?? Get a short ram or somethen waht do u mean by cheap ?? I think a reasonable good one goes for around 120 but im not totaly sure.. Someone made a post resently on what seems to be a really cheap way 2 do it... i'll try and find it for u
Yeah, I was talking about a cold air intake for more horses and better MPG, hopefully. I have researched and haven't been able to find one made for this car, so I was/am under the impression that I had to DIY with a universal package. I have no problem with that, I am somewhat mechanically inclined, and I enjoy a challenge... :^)...

As far as cheap goes, I would rather do it myself and have something to be proud of, and I'm not rich by any means but I can shell out a few bucks for some parts, so that's what I meant by that.

I hope you don't think I'm too dumb, and I am a newbie with a Mazda (hence the name), but let me tell you what I did today, just for the heck of it.

My brother and I removed the whole entire air box that is standard on the car, including that big thing (not sure what it is, has a wire harness plugged into it), and connected his K&N straight to the air hose right where that other big aforementioned piece was that we removed. Car wouldn't run. Cranked fine every time we tried it, but cut off. So, I said, "well, maybe the piece HAS to be hooked up, so I hooked it back up and left it laying. Still wouldn't run. Cranked fine again, wouldn't stay running. I have no idea why....

Now, please feel free to tell me how ignorant I am, and that I missed some tiny detail that I shouldn't have and would have made life simpler. PLEEAASSEE!!!

Old 05-21-2006, 09:39 PM

https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_18846/tm.htm

Heres the link to what I did and it is definatly a DIY spent like 30-40 bucks. Its in this forum a page or two back if this link dont work. It's basically just the cone filter and a adapter that bolted to the MAF housing everything after that is stock the whole thing is like 2 feet long. But your 929 may be completly diff.

I havent taken it anywhere until today, really since a day or so before I did it, so I have no real data on MPG.
It sounds cool when you get on the throttle and you can really hear the air going in. But Ive been chasing codes and and other problems with the help of other forum members in fact 2 replied to you. Thayll know if what I did will work for you or just cause problems for your car.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Larry 62694

https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_18846/tm.htm

Heres the link to what I did and it is definatly a DIY spent like 30-40 bucks. Its in this forum a page or two back if this link dont work. It's basically just the cone filter and a adapter that bolted to the MAF housing everything after that is stock the whole thing is like 2 feet long. But your 929 may be completly diff.

I havent taken it anywhere until today, really since a day or so before I did it, so I have no real data on MPG.
It sounds cool when you get on the throttle and you can really hear the air going in. But Ive been chasing codes and and other problems with the help of other forum members in fact 2 replied to you. Thayll know if what I did will work for you or just cause problems for your car.
Yeah, I thought it weird that my car totally wouldnt even run at all with the air box off. When I hooked up my brothers K&N cone shaped filter, the car just wouldnt run at all. I had unplugged the sensor and then re-plugged it, but that made no diference. There was only one vacuum line, and it hooked to the air box but it was basically a plug, because it didnt serve any purpose. I plugged it and plugged the sensor back in and it still wouldnt run with the K&N only. Thats really got me stumped. Those are the only two things on the whole box that has to be plugged in, and they were plugged in so I dont know.....

Old 06-06-2006, 08:56 AM

ya mine did the same thing when i installed a modified intake from a 98 accord v6 and when i put factory airbox back in if i even open it with car running it shuts down .im just as confused as you

Old 06-12-2006, 02:39 PM

Well if you go look in ebay you could probaly find a short ram intake for about 40 bucks i have not bought one for my 626 yet but got one in my 95 cavalier for 40 bucks from ebay and it is pretty good quality and works pretty good as well, the only thing you gotta look out for in ebay is check to see how the hose in the short ram intake bends so that it will be right were the old air intake box is... The first intake I got from ebay did not really fit the car a 91 accord We had to do some mods to get it to fit....