Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Bkey and Babyhuey- HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Default Bkey and Babyhuey- HELP!

Hey you two, I went out to the car to take some pictures so you can help me identify this part that I have no clue about
It's circled in these two pics, any ideas? It looks like something is missing like something should be plugged in to there.
Picture 1
Picture 2

Ok then, a question about the radio. It looks like it has the original mazda cd player still in it, but as you can see from this pic the previous owner put in something else where the radio/cassette was. It came WITHOUT the faceplate. I figured out a way to get the radio to play just so I could test the speakers. However, having the radio on causes the headlights to flicker and come on and off occasionally. Do either of you have any info on how to hook up a new radio on there?
Radio Picture

Here's the car, bought it for $2500 and Im hoping it was a good buy hahahahaha

Under the hood
1996 Mazda 626 ES picture

Thanks guys

Old 04-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Default RE: Bkey and Babyhuey- HELP!

It looks like something is missing like something should be plugged in to there.
The coolant temp sensor looks to plug there. It might be tucked into the wire harness. Why someone would unplug is beyond me!

However, having the radio on causes the headlights to flicker and come on and off occasionally.

For this question, it sounds like someone did a bad wiring job behind the radio. Do you know if this car has or had an aftermarket alarm installed? I do not have the wiring diagrams for this car on the radio circuit. It would be best to remove what is there and start over from scratch. Hopefully someone didn't hack the wiring! If wiring looks good then a wiring adapter can be purchased for the car to adapt a factory harness to the aftermarket radio you choose.
here is what an adapter looks like...

The car looks good in the pics. Too bad someone just didn't care about the engine or interior.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1828/F9E08342F5DF4C1BADF1977A5DA036D2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-03-2006, 03:49 AM

Agree with bkey 100%. Is definitely the temp sensor but not sure what impact it would have on the car if left disconnected. Will look into that later. Pull the audio unit that they have installed and post a pic of what the wireing install looks like. Guaranteed it will look like crap if the headlights are flickering only when the radio is on. Car looks really nice. Let's get everything else working though.
We will get there texasgal but may take some time working thru the internet.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:29 PM

Thank you both soooooo much!
Now I know absolutely nothing about cars but I would think the coolant temp sensor would be important---HA!
Let me ask you a question about the alternator. There is like a belt right next to the alternator, apparently that is worn. If I get the belt changed, could that solve the problem of the charge light or should I just go ahead and do the whole alternator deal?
I can't have any more work done on the car until Wednesday but I'll keep yall posted
Thanks again!!

Old 04-03-2006, 06:35 PM

I can't believe that a code P0115 ECT circuit malfunction is not being set by the PCM with it disconnected?? The computer also uses this signal to operate the cooling fans and with disconnected the failsafe is probably to operate the fans all of the time. Connector for it should be hiding right around the upper radiator hose area. Two wires in the connector should be Red w/ green stripe and Black w/ blue stripe. Are those new spark plug wires am seeing in the picture? Hope they were installed along with the new plugs as they are prone to failure although those are not OE in the pic.
If the belt that is worn and/or loose is turning the alternator then it could certainly cause the light to come on dim. A slipping belt can have the same effect as a worn out alternator. Autozone will probably also be able to check the charging system as many parts stores do offer that as a free service. Should be seeing an output voltage of 14-14.4 volts.
The 1402 code looks to be stored just as the key is cycled on. If the PCM sees a signal voltage from the EGR position sensor that is below .2 volts or above 4.8 volts then it will set the code. Maybe it is disconnected also. Might give it a check anyway. Sensor is located right on top of the EGR valve itself which is kind of buried down below and to the rear of the throttle body.