Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

99 626 HG job done,..Timing Qest..??

Old 10-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Default 99 626 HG job done,..Timing Qest..??

Hollo to everyone.. A newbie here.with first post... I'm a weekend warrior.. on cars.. like to play mechanic on weekends.I make my garage a mess...lol..lol,,. well.. family complaints... we know what that is like.. just done a head gasket job on my 626,.1999, with 2.0. and would like to see if anyone has good idea on the timing..... first,.. a good way to be able to reach into the tensioner,.belt,... it's very tight,... seems quite hard to reach into.. any suggestions and help will be appreciated.. meanwhile,.. I'll be looking into it,.. today,.. so sooner the better I guess.. if I do get to it.. I'll let you know.. and post it here.. thaks... someone.. welcome me..???lol//lol.. thanks..jc..

Old 10-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Default RE: 99 626 HG job done,..Timing Qest..??

You might be able to access the tensioner and other components by removing a wheel and wheelwell sidecover. The Mazda workshop manual has the complete procedure. If you don't have one, there's one being sold at ebaymotors. The seller wants a lot but is also taking best offers, give the seller an offer they can't refuse:-)

Old 10-19-2008, 11:21 AM

o.k.. thanks for reply.. you know I knd a thought of it... but it's a pain in the you know what.. and it's filthy dirty to remove all that.. well... kind a tired after hg job.. and was feeling little lazy....
thanks a lot for your info... I'll try get the manual soon... but hey.. I have finished my head gasket job without it.. well.. have done it couple of times before.. I'll get the manual anyways.. thanks.. 3-doors.. for alll your infos.. I'll get to it now... and post the results... jc..

Old 10-21-2008, 10:05 AM

O.K... done it.. I did not think it would be hard,... but it was somewhat difficult.. removing the wells were little filthy,.. but doable,.. but had to remove the motor mount,... due to the fact that without removingit,.. belt won't go in.. and to lift the motor with jack.. was quite a job as well... but after battling,... it was all done.. timing the shafts were quite a job as well... I did it by myself,... but if possible,.. having a helper would be ideal.. it takes four hands.. not two,.... specially when timining the shafts,.. the camshaft kept on rotating,..throwing the timing marks... . that for me it was almost impossible to do it myself.... if anyone tries,... I would suggest get helper ... would be a lot faster..

Old 10-21-2008, 11:23 AM

Did you replace the tensioner with the belt? I'm thinking of buying the Gates timing belt kit which includes a tensioner. I was also thinking of replacing the crankshaft and camshaft oil seals behind the gears. But when I read all that's involved in getting them off I decided to bag that idea. If I pull the timing cover off and see oil all over the place I may have no choice. The belt looks dry right now if I peak inside the cover. The belt has at least 70K miles on it. Don't really want to do this job but don't want the belt to break either. Besides the motor mount the workshop manual says to remove the alternator also, might as well replace that belt.

I really like the Boraxo power to get grease off of hands. Tried Lava soap, either the green bar or liquid and it doesn't do much. The Boraxo works great and smells good also.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:37 PM

Well.. 3-doors.. I actually did not change the tensioner/springs..I just left then there.. but I did check it many times,.. to see that was as good as new...I got the car not too long ago,.but found out.. it was done not too long ago... but just wanted to change the belt... but if you're going that far to do it,... I strongly suggest to do all at once.. because it's so hard to get to... after removing the motor mount screws,.. jack up the engine,.;; be careful where you choose to jack it up.. I just put a piece of wood under the motor oil cover,.. but got pushed a little.. I don't think that was such a good place.. but I said what the heck...
Yeah.. you'll get your hands dirty.. for sure.. thanks for the hand cleaner stuffs.. I'll get those next time..

Actually,.. if you take your valve cover off,... easy.. right..??
the topfrontal part of the belt cover is held by four screws.. couple is holding the sensors... it comes off pretty easy as well.. careful.. there is washer like short pipes going through the plastic cover.. I dropped couple, and rolled off somewhere,.. could not find the darn things,.. so I just put the screws back,. without them.. pull the top portion of the cover.. and you'll be able to see the belt,.. and peak at the spring/little bit of tensioner,..etc.. and judge for yourself the condition that they are in..
be careful on the valve cover screws,.. they are torque pressure sensitive,.. that can break.. I did break couple of the screws,.. and went to junk yard to get them... well.. I basically stole them... lol.. lol.. lol...well.. in a junk yard,.. they are just all over.. thrown on the ground... all over the floor,.... you know...

and have to get the front belts off.. there's two on mine.. if you look at the a/c belt,.. there is a adjusting screw that will release the belt that is with streeing pump...
and the other one is the alternator,.. with same type of adjusting screw,.. towards the firewall..... they are both held by a screw,.. to secure the bolts.. I think it was 12mm.. you'll see when you look...
if you have haynes manual,... that would help,... but I did it without.. with just basic knowledge..common sense.. I had done couple of head/gasket jobs.. on my 931, and on suburban.. so have good idea of the engine stuffs...
any how,.. on mazdas,.. it was my first time..
get couple of six packs,.. and a friend to help.. and see if you want to take a challenge.. it will take good half to one day..
good luck.. jc..