Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

94 mazda 626, unexpected engine pressure in camshafts

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Default 94 mazda 626, unexpected engine pressure in camshafts

I have a 94 Mazda 626, either ES or LX model, with the 2.5L V6 KL-DE engine, according to what research I've done on it, and what I saw posted on this site, it isn't an interference type engine. With that understanding I have been going about trying to replace my timing belt. It seized when one of the regular idler? pulley's bent off alignment and the belt chewed into the plastic casing as I was attempting to start the car and/or right after it started and I tried to back up. After much hassle with many a frozen bolt, I finally got it all removed and was ready to align the camshafts to TDC #1. It is a DOHC motor and my problem is when I attempted to rotate the front camshaft (side-mounted engine) that is connected to the distributor, pressure built up against the ratchet I was using. I had already removed the spark plugs. It rotated between a quarter and a half turn before the pressure built until I couldn't turn it further without fear of breaking something, and when released it spun back into place as if it had been a wound spring. Someone suggested the valve pressure sliding off high cam. With the spark plugs out, it was my understanding the pressure wouldn't build. The crankshaft is at the marking for TDC #1 already. The camshafts need to be before I can install a new belt, I just want to know how to deal with the pressure, some way to release it or if I force my way past via breaker bar? It spins back into place so I assume I will need some sort of piston holding tool if there is no way around the pressure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.