Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

94 626 problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Default 94 626 problems

hi, my name is andrew. sorry, if i dont follow the posting format...i've been reading for about 2 hours about this on quite a few different forums, and have yet to find something that will help immediately.

PROBLEM: about a year ago, a friend from church was driving his 1994 626 2.0L up the highway and he noticed the engine overheating. he added coolant but failed to check and notice that the drivebelt for the water pump had come off. it overheated and warped the cylinder head. well, my girlfriend's dad picked it up and has had it sitting until about a month ago. after checking everything, i determined that the cylinder head was warped and brought it in to be checked. it was warped 16 thousandths. i bought a 1993 mazda that had a siezed bearing in the bottom end. the cylinder head was still good, so i took it off with a few other things. i cleaned up the head and put it back on. i timed the cams correctly, as far as i know...i read various articles and according to them, i did it right. got everything back together, and got the spark plugs in...yay! went to start it the other night and it would not. i drained the gas, which was about a year old and put about 5 gallons of new gas in it. tried to start it and it still would not start. pulled the plugs, made sure there was spark, there is. looked into the cylinders and noted that there was quite a bit of gas in them. i havent checked fuel pressure, but i have changed the fuel pressure regulator. there are two connectors on the passenger side of the intake manifold that have vacuum lines coming out, but two of the vacuum lines on the bottom electrical connector have been removed and there are no more connectors left. there is only one and it looks like a vacuum control that has a vacuum line leading to the fuel pressure regulator...does anyone know if there should be another connector somewhere for the other one? there is on the other car, but i noticed that it was wired differently. i dont know if anyone has any suggestions as to what those connectors are, but if anyone can help i'd really appreciate it. i need to get this car going. also, if anyone has any other suggestions about the entire situation, i'm open to suggestion.

p.s. i know the gasket for the throttle body is bad, and i will change that asap, whether or not that has any effect on whether or not it would start...please and thank you for all additions to the thread.... [/align]

Old 05-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Default RE: 94 626 problems

well, no worries, i got it running and back together. the alternator pulley had siezed without our noticing, so we pull started it (popped the clutch) and we got her going and then we noticed through all the smoke that the pulley was frozen. pulled the alternator off the donor car and whala! started like a champ. it purrs, i tell ya. btw, if anyone wants any parts for a 93-97 mazda 626, i've got a donor car down here, wheels are in extremely good condition, otherwise, i'll be putting the donor up on ebay.