Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

94 626 computer question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Default 94 626 computer question

I have been in constant battle with the daughters 94 626.. Its a very sound car mechanically . But electronically its a piece of crap (especially the DISTRIBUTOR,, #4 so far)
Anyway here is the newest problem..
This car ran great all winter, then temps climbed into the 70s then all heck broke loose.. The car ran great , just like u rolled if off the car lot, ok used car lot then,when itscold. But when the radiator fan kicks in, the check engine light comes on.Then you had better be ready to eat the dash because u loose overdrive.. Then the motor starts flooding itself out and all spark plugs are blackened with soot.
things i have checked out.. new coolant sensors. new mass air flow sensor and checked all other sensors, even hot wireing the fan from a separate power source with all fan relays pulled.. So i am thinking new computer.. goto the local salvage yard to purchase 1..They remarkI cant believe this car hasnt been recycled yet.. My reply, u want it?, they say NO..
Ok, now i have my computer in hand and hurry home toinstall it.. The car motor runs like a champ Fan kicks on and off perfectly , spark plugs clean as a new brasswhistle. I'm thinking HURRAY, Till i drive off..Bam goes first gear, Bam goes 2nd, Bam goes 3rd..Whats this? no overdrive..WTF? I can live withthe thing banginginto gear, but no overdrive? no way. !Now the HOLD light is .This light has never been on before (BTY the tranny is perfect). So i ask a local garage for input. His reply, only a dealer can marry a new computer to the car.. You have to be kidding right? No way..

My biggest question is.. Has the electronics of the 626 always been made from second hand electronic toys or just by toy makers?

Your reply is anxiously waited on..

Old 08-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Default RE: 93 626 computer question

yes the computer has to marry to your car VIN#... i have a chip comeing to remedy this and improve car performance and do away with all the factory settings.. i'll let u know how it goes

Old 08-27-2007, 12:04 PM

Around the time your car was built,actually a few years before. The EPA stiffened emissions requirements. They wanted cars to warm up faster thereby reducing emission pollution. Several things happened. One was they locked 4th gear out of A/T cars til they reached a certain temp. This raised the rpm up which made the car warm up faster. Sounds like you have a bad sensor or your thermostat is sticking in the open position. I would put the original PCM back in the car and chase the real problem.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:20 PM

as u can see i stated when in cold weather u have a perfectly running car, as long as it never reaches the temp for the radiator fan to turn on. Reaching proper temp isnt the problem when it got warm this spring is when the crazy stuff started.. Also temp sensors have been replaced. alone with alot of other sensors..

Old 12-16-2007, 11:22 PM

YESSIR . I got it.. It was the brain box, aka ecm,ecu, blah blah etc.. The transmission shifts like a new car and motor hums like a sewing machine. All is good.. EXCEPT , like always when u fix something on this car something else takes a dive.. It was just a fuel regulator. Piece of cake..
Also a bad brainbox WILL TEAR UP YOUR TRANNY.. I recommend replaceing this practicular module with every oil change.. LOL